What to put under dresses in Summer?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone knows a place that sells cheap diaper covers/panties to put over DD's diapers this Summer? most dresses her size don't come with them anymore, and she'd probably swim in them anyway...

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

What size is she? I know most come with the diaper cover until 2 or 3T. I have gotten a white one at Sears before I think.?.

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Same as Brandy, most of the 2T/3T dresses have come with matching panties/diaper covers. I have seen them at Babies R Us before. Sometimes I buy bike shorts/capri leggings for them to wear underneath, or use bloomers from another dress. :good:

4. Lvdargan

Lvdargan Well-Known Member

Last summer I picked up a few pairs of little cotton shorts at Target for $3 each. I picked solid colors in pinks and purples - just in case she was playing at the playground or something. They remind me of little shorts that cheerleaders wear under their uniforms.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I bought some on KidSurplus.com -- they were surprisingly hard to find. I would have thought it was the kind of thing they sold in packs at Target! We had tons of dresses with no diaper covers, either because they didn't come with them or because we got them as hand-me-downs and the diaper covers had been lost. I was amazed at how many high-end dresses just didn't come with them, though -- Hanna Andersson, Gymboree, etc.

Sometimes (if it wasn't too hot), we put short-sleeved onesies under the dress. The little shorts are a great idea too, and also provide more protection from hot slides, grass in the diaper, and other summer hazards. :ibiggrin:

There is also the "kamikaze" (no cover) option, which we did quite often as well.

6. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Bike shorts? They're inexpensive at Children's Place, and often on sale at Gymboree. When Nadia was really little, though, I bought some white frilly bloomers for her on Ebay, and had them embroidered across the bottom. It seems really silly to me now, but it's a big thing here in the South! ;-)

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I just happen to have a couple of bloomers left over from their 18 M dresses that were so big on them then that they still fit them now, so I just use those. I also got lucky and purchased some dresses on clearance from Gap last year that had bloomers and I use those as well.

8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Same here!

9. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

This was always true for us too, and I never figured it out! The diaper covers were always several sizes larger than the dress (even after you account for the thickness of the diaper). What's up with that?

These days, now that they're in underwear, I don't care if they have anything on under the dress.

10. swilhite

swilhite Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap pattern with diaper cover in my daughter's size and material in a bunch of colors and my mom made me a bunch of diaper covers. I'm not good at that kind of thing, but I appreciated that she could do it. I'm hoping some still fit for this summer.