vaccines WWYD

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

one of my LOs is still sick after having a cold for 2 weeks
    my other LO is definitely doing better.

we're going for our 7 month vaccines today. (menengitis and pnemonia). should i not do them? my doc does them even when the boys have colds.

ALSO, they were due for their flu/h1n1 shots two weeks ago and we cancelled them bc they were sick. i do not want them getting all 4 shots today.

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think that if you, as their mother, don't feel comfortable doing it, then you should cancel. Personally, I would not get vaccines if they were sick.

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I would hold off and go back when they are feeling better.

4. newtothis

i figured i would still go to the doc even though they aren't feeling just right yet; this way they can get their ears/lungs checked.

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I too, would not vaccinate if they are sick or have been sick. But, I might go the the appt and use it as a sick appt and ask questions if I needed any help.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I think that is a good idea, since the other day you had said they might be developing ear infections. :good:

7. cec02c

cec02c Well-Known Member

We had 4 shots for our six mo. well baby check. One of them was the seasonal flu. We got thru them at the office, no big deal. We got home and the babies fell asleep for two hours. they normally sleep for 45 min. When they woke up it was like a bomb had gone off inside my house. They screamed. I mean screamed for three hours. Both of them non-stop. Motrin, tylenol, did nothing. I will never allow four shots again.

Of course it is different with all babies. My two have always been a little "high maintenance." Do what your instincts tell you are right. Good luck:)

8. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

WW*I*D? I would do what you're comfortable with. Personally, I would do it (and just did as a matter of fact), but I made that decision based on my mommy instincts and the recommendation of their ped. If it's just a cold then they're fine to get them. If it's something else (I didn't read the post the pp was referring to) then you'll get an idea of what that may be while at your appt.

I understand that everyone has an opinion about their vaccine schedules, and I respect that. I've been fortunate to have children who have never had an adverse reaction to anything, however, so I base their schedule on that.

GL and I hope they feel better soon :)

9. newtothis

they had colds at the end of december that were the worst things ever! NO SLEEPING - i mean ZERO minutes! no joke! :headbang:
    their ears were pink last time i was there, too.

10. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

I'd put them off, but I'm a delayed/selective vaccinator anyways.

11. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

WW*I*D? I would do what you're comfortable with. Personally, I would do it (and just did as a matter of fact), but I made that decision based on my mommy instincts and the recommendation of their ped. If it's just a cold then they're fine to get them. If it's something else (I didn't read the post the pp was referring to) then you'll get an idea of what that may be while at your appt.

I understand that everyone has an opinion about their vaccine schedules, and I respect that. I've been fortunate to have children who have never had an adverse reaction to anything, however, so I base their schedule on that.

GL and I hope they feel better soon :)

12. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Good idea! I would probably still get them since it's a cold that's almost over, just not all 4. Although having your doc check to see if it's an ear infection first would be a good idea cuz if it is more serious than the sniffles I would delay too. I have delayed regular immunizations once by a few weeks since my dd was super ill with the flu and I just didn't feel right about it. Do what your mommy instinct tells you. Good luck and I hope they are fine with no ear infections or anything!

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My ped says as long as there is no fever, even if they have the sniffles, then shots are fine. So that's what I go by. :) But that's what I and my ped are comfortable with, you gotta do what's comfy for you and your babies! :)

14. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I've been stretching our vaccinations and only selecting the ones my kids need for kindergarten based on virginia law. When we went for the 4 month, my babies had a head cold but no fever. I had them vaccinated. I would not vaccinate if they had any sort of fever.

15. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own opinion and I definitely respect that but let me put it this way:

If the average child has 10-12 colds a year
    AND
    these colds tend to be clustered into the winter months
    AND
    every time they have a cold you hold off on giving a vaccine

would you rather them come down with meningitis, whooping cough, influenza, pneumonia, rotavirus (severe dehydration) and end up in the icu because you were waiting until they felt better?

In my practice fever = no vaccine but colds, etc will always be there and the things we vaccinate against are much more serious than feeling stuffy and being fussy. Especially if your children have tolerated their first 2 sets of vaccines without too much of a problem they are likely to tolerate the third set as well. The number of vaccines has no bearing on whether they will be fussy or be happy...some babies will be a bear with any vaccines and other babies can get 4, 5, 6 without even acting as though they had any.

Anyone who is considering alternate vaccine schedules, picking and choosing vaccines, foregoing vaccines should be completely educated of the risks before deciding this though. Many people think that these diseases aren't out there any more.

Missed vaccines weaken 'herd immunity' in children - USATODAY.com