do your kids eat spicy food?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by debbie_long83, Jan 9, 2010.

1. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Both DH and I like spicy food (not everyday or anything, but we like it) but I have just never given the girls anything really spicy. Well tonight we went out to eat with DH's cousin and the girls got some sauce from her plate. It had a pretty good kick to it and I thought surely they would spit it out (they dipped fries in it) but they kept going back for more! In all, the didn't get just a ton of it, just dipping a few fries, but I'm hoping it doesn't upset their stomachs or anything! They loved it... So do your kids eat spicy foods? Is there a certain age it's "Ok"?

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Royce and Alice loved spicy foods from the very beginning. Now they won't eat if something is bland, it has to have some flavor, which is great for us, I'm not making two different but similar meals. As long as they're not tearing up or have runny noses because of it, I don't think it's a problem. And don't give them a bottle of tabasco. :p

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

In my DH;s country, people routinely eat hot and spicy food, and that includes the kids.

Now my DH is a bit extreme--he loves hot sauces that say things like 100% Pain. I don't feed them his level of spicy food, but by American standards they do eat spicy foods. I put jalapenos in the refried beans, and I also use lots of onions, green peppers, and black pepper.

I think it's just an American myth that kids don't like spicy foods because apparently kids all around the world are eating spicy foods (At least that's what the in-laws tell me :) .)

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I have one that loves spicy food and one that is more picky about it. DD will eat just about anything and spice doesn't bother her, but DS on the other hand will sometimes eat it and sometimes not. If it's too spicy for him, he'll wipe his tongue with a napkin. LOL

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i was thinking the same thing - babies in other countries are probably raised on spicy food without anyone thinking twice about it.

my girls don't eat a lot of spicy food because i never make it - i love me some bland food! my MIL on the other hand uses a lot of different spices in her cooking & the girls seem to like it just fine when they do eat there. i expect it's mostly a matter of conditioning.

6. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

my girls have eaten everything spicy i've given to them.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think if the kids like spicy food then I don't think that's a bad thing. We do not eat spicy food here, not because of the kids but because of me and my stomach.

8. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

We have always served spicy here. When they were tiny, I would dial it down a little for them.

Kids aroud the world eat spicy foods - go for it!

9. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, spicy food is their favorite! They love raw onions (call they "rings"), garlic, even hot sauce off daddy's plate.

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Anna does. The pediatrician tells me that it's fine. If they will eat it, let them eat it. (Personally, I would like to note that Indian food does not make for a great diaper, but I love it, and I'm glad they do too!)

11. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine like mildly spicy stuff. I don't like full out spice, but like a bit. DH likes more spice. My girls will tolerate a bit more spice than my DS but I wonder if that happens to be a tad bit of left over reflux from when he was younger. They'll eat my thai food that is "mild" as opposed to "no spice" and they like that.

12. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I'm a total chicken: I haven't given my boys anything remotely spicy even though DH and I love spicy foods. Last night we made chili and I fed them chicken instead. Bad Mama! I need to get brave and give my guys some credit. They probably have a residual spice-tolerance from all the hot foods I ate while pregnant and breastfeeding. ;)

13. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

One of our boys at one point wouldn't eat anything unless it had some form of curry on it! Our family version of spice growing up was black pepper, which I never liked, so it was only recently that I tried spicy foods and LOVE it! I love Indian food it's my favorite and the boys like it too (unless they rub their eyes after they eat...OUCHIE!).

THey are wanting more bland now, but I keep offering it. I was hesitant at first then my pedi said the same thing pp have mentioned...kids all over the world eat spicy food.
    GL!

14. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

Whew, thanks ladies, I don't feel concerned about it now. They didn't appear to have any stomach issues after eating it :) I was actually thinking the same thing, kids in other countries grow up eating spicy food so it can't be that bad, right?

15. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

The girls have been eating mexican food since 9 months and love it