Need your expert recommendations

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by wpitlik1, Jan 6, 2010.

1. wpitlik1

wpitlik1 Member

Hi - Perhaps you veterans can help this newbie and other newly pregnant twin moms like myself......If you could only buy one twins book to guide you through this adventure, what would it be? We don't have a lot of extra money, but would like to make sure I get the right one. So, which book helped you prepare the most? Thanks so much
    wendy
    :unsure:

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Umm.. for me it would be Mothering Multiples.. excellent breastfeeding book.

3. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

"What to Expect When You're Having Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Barbara Luke.

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:good: I liked this book as well.

5. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I loved "Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy" by Gila Leiter - she is an OB who has twins herself. I thought it was a very good and an easy read - she used the stories of the same 4-6 patients throughout, each with different situations (advanced maternal age, drug-free birth, scheduled c-section). I liked the fact that the book was very informative without pushing one particular theory or another related to pregnancy/childbirth/etc. Very thorough.

For all my pregnancies/children, however, I have used "Baby Bargains" by Denise and Alan Fields and "Baby 411" by Ari Brown and Denise Fields. Neither are twin specific, but they are essential, in my opinion.

I'm not big on scare tactics and pushiness, and all three of these books were just right for me.

Maybe you could find a deal on all three on Craigslist or something? Or at a used book store? That's where I purchased the latter two.

6. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Get your books out of the library, or see if your local twin club can lend them to you. My twin club has been a great resource, especially when I was expecting. Take advantage of any and all free or almost free resources!!! If one or two books strike you as particularly good for you, buy it, get a used one, or register for it.

Second Dr. Luke, although I disagree with her on limiting activity and optimal gestational age.

For fun, I liked the book Twinspiration. It's an easy to read narrative.

7. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Me too!

8. Kristin N

Kristin N Well-Known Member

I'm no vetran, but my favorite book so far has been "Twinspiration" It's written with advice from an actual mother with a witty sense of humor. It reads more realistic to me. I also second the idea to check out the library first! If you can't find what you want then definitely do the amazon thing and get used copies.

9. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

That's my first thought too. It's mostly about breastfeeding, but not only about breastfeeding.

I also had an enjoyed "Everything you need to know to have a healthy twin pregnancy"

10. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got this free from the lady I bought the snap n go stroller from & thought it was THE best out of those I saw.

11. Tracy Ward

Tracy Ward Member

library, my friend. Read all and then decide what is best for you
    xoxo

12. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

The only helpful book specifically about twins that I have read is Barbara Luke's (mentioned above). I got a bunch from the library and they were not that helpful and also sort of freaked me out. If this is your first, I love "Happiest Baby on the Block" and "Healthy Sleep habits, Happy Child" - not specifically about twins...