How long was your hospital stay for 35-36 weekers

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by melissa8, Dec 20, 2009.

1. melissa8

melissa8 Member

I found out I was 2cm dilated at my appt last Monday. It is now 6 days later and I am having Braxton Hicks every time I stand up. I just know I will go into labor soon. I have been working up to this point and don't really plan to stay home from work tomorrow as I only get a total of 4 weeks off for the whole pregnancy and would rather use them after delivery. I am currently 35 weeks and 4 days. Just wondering what experiences were like for other moms that delivered around this time. Did you get to breastfeed them right away? Did you get to take them home with you? Did anyone have their babies go to the NICU? Anyone have to have the babies on the vent? Thanks for your help!

2. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I had mine a week before (34 and 5 days) I breast fed right away and they were in the nicu 1 week and then came home. HTH

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35w 1d - they spent 1 week in the NICU - for weight gain and jaundice. I did bf right away, but also needed to pump quite a bit (after every feeding). One needed O2 for 24 hours b/c he had fluid in his lungs from the c-section. They both were put on antibiotics for 48 hours b/c the baby on O2 was acting sluggish and they wanted to be sure that they did not have some underlying infection (they didn't). I had had an amnio that morning to check for lung maturity, though, so we were fairly confident that they would not have any significant breathing issues. :)

4. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 35 weeks 4 days. I delivered at a hospital that only had a level 2 nursery but I didn't think we'd need it. My baby B had some respiratory issues so they ended up shipping him to a hospital with a NICU for precautionary measures. I was discharged home with baby A after 4 days ( I had a c section). Finn spent a week in the other hospital. My sisters girls, on the other hand, were born at 35 and 6 went home with her, no problems and were able to bf right away. Good luck!

5. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

My girls were born 2 days shy of 35 weeks. One spent 7 days in the NICU and the other spent 23 days. That being said, I also saw full term babies in the NICU and I've heard of other 34 weekers that had no NICU time at all. Unfortunately there is no way to predict what will happen.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: It really just depends on the baby/ies. I too saw full term babies in the NICU and some that were worse off then my preemies were. :( It really depends on how their lungs are.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto good luck!!!! :hug: and for what its worth I was 2cm dilated at 28wks and held out until 34weeks!

8. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I was 2 cm dilated and having TONS of BH from 34-38 weeks ... and I still made it to my scheduled date at 38+5. Don't give up!

I agree with other posters - you won't know about NICU until the babies arrive. My second child was born at 39 weeks and was in the NICU for 5 weeks due to lung problems (a complete surprise) - oscillator, chest tube, the works - one of those full-term babies who was way worse off than many of the teeny-tinies around him. As I said, the twins were born at 38+5 - A ended up in the NICU the day B was discharged because he was unable to maintain his body temp. He stayed in the NICU for 4 days to warm up.

Good luck - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you make it to the end - the NICU is not much fun!

9. melissa8

melissa8 Member

Wow, thanks for all the replies. This twinstuff forum is great. First time I used it. I know that every situation is different, but I just wanted to be prepared for the best and worst. It really is terrifying having twins! I'm pretty much expecting they'll be in the hospital a week. I'm just nervous about it. Great to hear that several of you were dilated to 2cm for many weeks (and with constant Braxton Hicks). That would be great if I could keep them in there longer. My husband actually has to go out of town for a few days starting today, so I'm just certain they will come while he is gone! Doctor's visit in 10 hours! Biggest question will be whether one is still breech ;) Thanks again.

10. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 34 weeks 6 days and had to be in the NICU 17 days. I had a hard time getting my milk to come in, so BFing was a tad difficult. I was also on Magnesium for 24 hours after they were born, so I could not get out of bed - so I couldn't go see them down in the NICU...they had no problems with their lungs - just feeding and growing!

Hope things go well for you!

11. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 36 wks on the nose weighing 5lb 2 oz and 4 lb 1 oz. Although we weren't scheduled for our c-section for another week, baby B hadn't grown over the previous 2 weeks and mama's BP was continuing its upward trend, so the decision was made to go in the next day. Neither needed NICU time; however, baby A required O2 for 6 hours and they were watching him for jaundice. Both were able to breastfeed shortly after birth and both were discharged with me on day 5. Best of luck to you!

12. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks 4 days weighing 5lbs 13oz and 6lbs 3oz. No NICU time. I would have been able to nurse them right away but I chose not too.

Good luck!

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I agree with pp, it depends on the babies. Mine were born at 35 weeks and 6 days (5#9.5 and 5#12) and neither had NICU time, however my nephew was born at about the same time (36 weeks) and he spent almost two weeks in the NICU. I did breastfeed them within two hours or so of having them (as soon as I was out of the OR and settled). I had a c-section and spent three days in the hospital. They did have trouble keeping their body temps regulated, so we had to keep hats and socks on them at all times and keep them swaddled for the first few weeks home.

14. christiedawntoews

christiedawntoews Active Member

Hi! Mine were 35 weeks to the day.. but spent 3 weeks in the NICU. Mia was on the C Pap, OLivia never had breathing issues but did have some episodes of heart rate drops. They both had jaundice then and feeding issues. I started pumping rite off, every three hours, then started trying to BF when they were a week. By the time we were ready to go home they were doing tandem like a pro. I had steriod shots too.

15. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My babes were born at 35w 5d. Austin spent 1 night in the NICU and Miles spent 2 nights just to get their feeding under control. I breastfed Austin about 20 hrs after delivery and Miles finally latched on about 40 hrs after. In the meantime I pumped like crazy to get my supply going. Fingers crossed all works out great for you! It's terrifying waiting for it to happen, then it does and you wonder what you worried about :)

16. EricaM

EricaM Well-Known Member

At 35w3d, Elizabeth was discharged to us in my room after 2 days, Madeline stayed in the NICU for 9 days total - she had some breathing issues (that were mostly cleared up by day 3, after that it was learning to eat, since she had been on a ng tube while she was working out the breathing problems - it was never anything severe, and I never had any steroid shots or anything like that)

Elizabeth and I were discharged 4days pp (born at 7pm Monday, discharged Friday) (I think they would have discharged me Thursday, but since my BP was still not under complete control (and Maddie still in the NICU) they let me stay the extra day.

I had a c-section, and while I do wish I had asked them to help me breastfeed asap (they brought me through the NICU in my bed on my way to my room, I didn't get to see the girls until the next morning) They set me up with a pump eventually, but I didn't get to use it until the next day (and it turns out, they gave me some weak pump - apparently, they give twin mommies the heavy duty pump!)

17. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi,
    After 12 weeks of bedrest, I ended up with pre-e and delivered at 36 weeks. They were 5 pounds (DD), and 5.5 pounds (DS). My son had lung problems and was on a vent for a few days. He recovered pretty quickly after that. Both of them needed to learn to feed. We worked on breast feeding, but both had problems latching and would get very tired. They were sent home after 18 days. They are very healthy now with no residual problems. good luck!

18. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 36 weeks 1 day and had no NICU time. They never left my side in the OR (since I had a c-section) and were with me for 2 hours in recovery where we attempted breastfeeding for the first time. They stayed in my room with me until we were all discharged 3 days later. They were both healthy although we did go in for weight checks every few days in the first couple months.
    At my appointment less than a day before my boys were born I was not contracting at all and my cervix was not checked. When I arrived in L&D I was only a fingertip dialated.

That being said, my niece was born at 35 weeks 5 days and was only 3pounds and some change and spent 22 days in the NICU. She was delivered early due to Pre-E.

It all depends on how healthy your babies are and sometimes everything works out really well and other times there is no indication of a problem but there is aomething ther. I think the longer you can go the better off you will be.