family is wanting a gift list...help

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by haleystar, Dec 4, 2009.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

the boys are growing like weeds and we are in desperate need of clothes for 6-12 month clothes. we live in florida so i don't need a lot of cold weather clothes...would it be inappropriate of me to ask for gift cards to places like babies r us so that we can get clothes as we need them and/or formula if we can't afford it that month?

also, they want to buy toys for the kids...what do 4-7 month olds play with?? we have swings, bouncy seats, tummy time mats and play mats with toys they can tug on to make noise and little books that they can hold on too. they love showing things in their mouths at the moment. we have bumbo seats but they haven't figured those out yet.

oh and what type of walker/exercauser would you recommend? i only want one since our house is pretty small but i definetly want one...for those of you with older twins which ones do you like best?

we've already got two high chairs otherwise i would suggest those and a jogging stoller is out of the question because the one we want is way to expensive.

i was just wondering what types of toys they boys might like around 6-12 months of age since they won't have another "holiday" until their birthday on july 23rd.

any suggestions would be GREAT! thanks!!! and happy holidays everyone :D :smilie_xmas_116:

2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Last year and this year I did a wishlist on Amazon.com. It was great b/c you could put whatever you wanted or needed for now or in the future. It was easy for them b/c they could easily view and buy the items. I've put things like diapers, onsies, and certain clothing I knew I needed for them, etc. on there when they were little. You can also try to think of some toys they might like in the next 3-6 months and put those down. You can pick an "age" at amazon and look through those toys for the age range. Starting at 6-9 months they make some really cool stuff!! I know Bumbos were on our list the first year as well as that toy that pops the balls up and an activity wall (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was shaped like the front of a house with a door, doorbell, mail, phone, etc.) that they first crawled through, then learned to pull up on. Push toys in a few months will be fun for them. Maybe a special ornament to commemorate their 1st Chrismtas.

3. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My girls are really close to the same age as your boys so I will tell you what they are getting :) Also, my niece is 8.5 months so I have gotten a lot of things she enjoys too.

Baby einstein kaleidoscope toy
    Puppets!!! (They love love love looking at these)
    Rainforest jumperoo
    ABC Exersaucer (I like this better than the jumperoo and so does my niece)
    Suction cup toys
    Teethers
    Fresh food feeders http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Pack/dp/B000GK5XY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1259978232&sr=8-1-spell
    Bigger toddler size hooded towels (my girls are only 11.5 lbs and I already feel like the baby towels are too small!)
    Leap Frog activity table
    I got them a lot of stuff to start solid feeding too.

I don't think it is inappropriate at all to ask for gift cards!

I hope I was a little helpful! Your boys are ADORABLE by the way!

4. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

I think it would be OK to ask for gift cards. Just put it something like, "if you would like to get boys something they need such as clothes, formula, or diapers a gift card would work great so we make sure we get the right sizes so nothing goes to waste".

I always tell people books. Books are great at any age and can take the pressure off of the gift buyer. There is such a great price range that no one would feel guilty or obligated to purchase something they can't afford.

At 4 months maybe look for things that they will be needing over the next 6-8 months. Like toys that would encourage standing and moving. You might not be able to use it RIGHT away, but you will be needing it soon.

5. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

For my first we liked the rainforest jumperoo way better then the exersaucer. I would also recommend either the house, I can't remember who makes it but they also sell a farm that is SUPER cute!! For my DS first Christmas we got him the leapfrog table, the house and one other toy that would promote standing. I think it was made by leap frog...has the full alaphabet, colors, numbers and a few other things. Actually, that was is really nice because the boys can lay under it now. There are fabric pieces to pull on and colored levers for them to hit.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You've gotten some great advice and suggestions. I totally agree with the suggestion of books and I agree that asking for gift cards is not impolite. Those can come in handy for diapers, wipes, clothes and other essentials.

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A. I'm so jealous your boys are so big! (& happy for you!) My boys are JUST now getting into 3 month old clothes & they'll be 3 months old on the 7th.
    B. Giftcards make sense- esp when people tend to buy/send tiny baby clothes for babies who are older (why does my 3 month old need newborn sized onesies???)
    C. I really like that amazon.com wishlist idea- or use Target or Wal-Mart?
    D. As to toys, I would pick things like a See & Say or a top. Maybe a shape sorter or blocks... classic baby toys! Even if they can't play with them JUST yet, it'll be fun to grow into.

Good luck!

8. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

We have the table too, or something like it. I got if for Ella 4 years ago. I HIGHLY recommend it also! It last Ella, Milo and now the babies. They ALL have loved it and it has LASTED through all of the kids and the abuse it takes. This toy really amazes me!

9. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

We have the Exersaucer Mega and it went through 3 boys before we ended up with it. What's nice about the mega ones is they have lots of toys and collapse when you need to move or store it. My boys mainly love it for all of the toys they can bend and get into their mouths. We also have the jumperoo and both boys go crazy in that thing. Even when they want out and are complaining, they can't stop jumping.

As far as other toys go, I have a wish list on Amazon that I've been working on. You'll see some older toys on it for our nephews, but all of the younger things are for Alex and Zach. What I've been doing is trying to find things that they can sit and play with, since sitting will be their next major milestone. This includes blocks, stacking things, a see-and-say, and board books. There's also the Leapfrog table that pp have mentioned. Hope this helps!

Edited to add: You can convert Amazon Wish Lists to Universal ones that work with any website, so don't feel like your family has to buy from them or even online at all!

10. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

what a great idea...an amazon wishlist!
    how do you make it so that they can buy the presents from anywhere (buy buy baby, babies r us, etc.)

11. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for the great ideas. i'm so lost as to which type of things would be good for 6-12 months. newborns are so much easier to shop for!

and double thanks for saying that my boys are adorable and growing. that made me smile on an otherwise gloomy saturday morning. :D

12. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

We have the rainforest jumperoo and LOVE it! Plan on getting a second one so the twins can each have one. How about baby einstein videos those are lifesavers! The ONLY way I was able to get ready in the mornings when my singleton was about 6 to 8 months. She got put in her jumperoo in front of the tv and squealed and jumped to the dvd. (Just started the twins on their first one, baby beethoven and even my "crankier" twin loved it, it was heaven!)

Fisher price superstar stage was a hit with my last lo

this is that ball popper and was a huge hit at 9 months or so

the busy zoo by parents was awesome too even though the age range was a bit older she loved sitting in front of it and playing

Hope those recommendations helped.

You can also use a website called Kaboodle as a generic wishlist for any website on the internet, its pretty cool!

13. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Just remember, suggest things for when they get older also or you will end up with all 6 months clothes. I don't think it is bad to ask for gift cards, we asked for costco gift cards for formula.

14. Melissa L-H

Melissa L-H Guest

They can print the list out and take it with them.

15. tracylyn

tracylyn Active Member

Amazon has a universal button that you can add things from any website. It should be easy for you to install. I have a wishlist that has lots of things from babies r us and target on it. IT has been a great way for the family to know what would be best for the boys to have right now. We don't have alot of room for lots of toys so this was the best way I could think of to let them know exactly what we wanted!