maybe it really is time to PT!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by fuchsiagroan, Nov 27, 2009.

1. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

We've had potty chairs easily accessible for a while now, and the kids have had an opportunity to play around and try them. They love being naked (even in winter :huh: ), and whenever they're naked we tell them to pee or poop in the potty chair if they have to go, and if they do, then they get a piece of chocolate. We've had lots of accidents and a few successes.

But today they really did well! They were naked for a few hours, NO accidents, DS made one little poop and then one huge poop in the potty, and DD tried valiantly. She first made 4 tiny (=DH had to put his glasses on to see them) drops of pee. Then she made a pee about the size of a quarter. (And she was very, very proud of her accomplishment. :lol: ) They also spent lots of time just sitting and "trying." And no accidents at all!

If we have a couple more trial runs like this, we might just go ahead and PT for real. If I can get my head around it, that is! :lol: :woo:

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

awesome! I'm telling you when they're ready it really just clicks! Abby trained in 3 days...decided she was done with diapers and that was it! Princess Panties it was...

3. FourKiddos

FourKiddos Well-Known Member

I agree with PP - when they are ready they do just train. My DS trained in a couple of days too. He is now wearing CARS underwear and tells me when he has to go potty - this all happened in a week. Unbelievable. I have one more to go. She wants to be potty trained but is not. She can sit down and pee when she needs to but she forgets to go when she has to and has accidents. Luckily, she does not mind wearing a pull-up, so that is what she is doing.

I have done 7 years of diapers - I can not even imagine life without it!!!

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I say go with it!! :woo:

5. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I totally would! Sounds like they're more than ready. I know you're in favor of a no-stress approach, but I'd hate to miss the window -- go for it!

6. fuchsiagroan

Well, I asked them this afternoon if they wanted me to go shopping and get them some underwear to wear instead of diapers, and they went nuts! They were talking about it all night. Ivy tried to bargain with me: she said she'd get a good sleep tonight if I get her some underwear "with some cute colors." Andrew wanted to just wear Daddy's underwear, and didn't quite get that it would fall off of him. :lol:

So as soon as I can get to Target, we'll go for it!

One question: how do you handle it when they don't know how to pull down their own pants?

7. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

:banana: How exciting, Holly! Keep us posted. I hope Ivy gets a good night's rest and enjoys her cutely colored undies. :) Too cute. :wub:

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:Clap: Sounds like they are ready... now you have to get on board mommy!! I agree with the others that say that when they are ready, it's quick!! (and painless ;) ) Good luck!!

9. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

:woohoo: WOOHOO! It's awesome that they seem so excited about it. Good Luck with the training!!

10. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Holly - most of the time my kids wear sweat pants or in Abby's case leggings that just pull down - we avoided jeans or pants with snaps/fly's for a while until they got really good with the potty - and now they can get jeans etc up and down without issue...

also I'm not sure where you're at but you could put Ivy in dresses or skirts for a while...that sometimes helps...

11. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

:clapping: That's great that they're so into it and excited about the underwear :panties:

This is basically what we did too, dressed them in things that pulled down/up really easily (another bonus is that they wash and dry really quickly), they all managed without any trouble. Once we were through the first week or two I started phasing back in more difficult clothes and just showed them how to do each thing and helped until they could manage.

Good luck!

12. fuchsiagroan

Update: we got underwear! DD loves it, DS won't wear it, but loves to walk around naked anyway.

We've started giving them long stretches of diaper-free time. Yesterday, DD peed in the potty so many times that I lost count (she loves earning those chocolate chips!), but waited until getting a diaper back on to poop. DS made one huge poop right in the potty (how on earth does all that poop come out of that little tiny body???), made one successful pee - and peed several times on the floor, and peed another time in the potty and then gleefully dumped it out and played in it before I could intervene. :crazy: I think he can do it, I'll just have to keep a really close eye on him.

We're going to keep giving them lots of practice, but we'll wait a bit before going all the way - everyone's sick and not sleeping enough, so we'll wait until we're all better.

And let me just say that I am very glad we have NO carpet in the house. :faint:

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update - I was getting curious! It all sounds like it's going pretty well. Here's hoping that once they're feeling better, they will catch on and the rest of the process will be a snap.

My Jack also hates to wear underwear (the few times we've tried). Jacob, on the other hand, loves it... but he pees every single time he wears them. He can be naked for 2 hours, no pee... then put on 4 pairs of undies in a row, and pee 4 huge puddles. :lol:

Anyway, good luck with this ongoing process! :hug: