Babies' crisis at 8 months

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by atinar, Nov 21, 2009.

1. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've read that babies at 8 months always claim their mother, fear strangers and have separation anxiety even at night.

Did your babies behave that way when they were around 8 months and how much did it last?

Many thanks in advance.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think my girls were that way. The older they get the more they fear strangers, that definitely has only increased with age. I don't know at what age it disappears, but at 8 months separation anxiety definitely did not peak for us. It's way worse as they get older. I don't know what "claim their mother" means. My girls definitely recognized me at 8 months old, but mine go to their dad as much as they go to me.

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

My girls don't fear strangers (yet), but they did have separation anxiety when the were 8.5 months and it lasted a month or so. I agree with PP, they cling to me and daddy just as much.

4. MelinaS79

MelinaS79 Well-Known Member

Yep. My DS did it, but DD is more of a Daddy's girl. :) We went through the separation anxiety for about a week then it was over :D

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 8 months, my two did not have preference for either one of us, they went to me and DH pretty equally. Separation anxiety was (and still is) off and on with them both.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't know if it was 8 months or not, but separation anxiety seems to be inevitable. My two are 3 now & still are Mommy's babies & still are extremely wary of strangers. Many kids don't outgrow that for a long time, it totally depends on their personality.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

My twins are 3, and the same way, and have been that way since I can remember! Come to think of it, my older kids still are too. :unsure: I think that all babies go through it around 9 months, and some just do earlier, and longer, because it's their personality.