Which Spelling?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Rachel+2, Nov 16, 2009.

?

Which spelling?

1. Lailah

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Layla

39 vote(s)
    88.6%
  3. Laila

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Rachel+2

Rachel+2 New Member

Hi first time poster here! I'm having B/G twins in late Nov/ early Dec and DH and I are discussing what is the best way to spell our Baby Girls name Laila, Lailah or Layla. I prefer Lailah as I don't see it spelled that way often and her twin's name ends with "ah" however DH prefers Layla. He also is concerned that people won't know how to pronounce Lailah (people always call him the wrong name because how it is spelled so he's sensitive to this issue). He told me ultimately this is my decision (he named the boy) but now he has me paranoid. Which spelling do you guys think is best? The name is pronounced same as Laila Ali's name. Her middle name will be Denise.

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Layla it will be easier for people to pronouce and for her to spell when she goes to school

3. jpgeyer

jpgeyer Well-Known Member

I agree! As a teacher, I think it's best to stick with the most traditional spelling, as boring as that may seem! Good luck and cute name!

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

Actually, I thought the traditional spelling was Leila.

That aside, I agree with your DH. I have an oddly-spelled name (it's very similar to a much more common name, but is from a language my dad once studied), and I spent my whole childhood correcting people and hearing it mispronounced even after I'd said it correctly to someone. This includes when I walked the stage at graduation. It's so annoying when people always say your name wrong.

5. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I totally agree with this as well. My name is pronounced "Amy" and I'm forever getting called "Au may". Just this past weekend when I went to vote the lady at the polls called my name out as "Aumay Muray". It's pretty annoying, and is supposed to sound like "Amy Marie"

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I agree. :good:

7. Rachel+2

Rachel+2 New Member

Thanks for the replies!

8. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Layla. With that said, we used the much less common Greek spelling for our DD (Lia, pr Leah) because the meaning was entirely different and that's how we named our girls. Love the name, btw.

9. 7ofus

7ofus Member

Our daughter is Laila Olivia, she'll be 7 next month & she didn't have any trouble spelling her name. The reason we chose an "I" was because her 2 older brothers have an "I" in their name as well, & it just looked better to us on paper.
    Good Luck!

10. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

I love the spelling Laila. Very pretty :wub: but it is a tough decision to make. I find it hard as a student studying to be a teacher to pronunce differet spelled names of children. But i do love the spelling Laila. Good luck.

11. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

i like leila. love that name!

12. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

That way is also very nice and pretty :wub:

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I know, someone has to be difficult but I would choose Leila!

14. jlcorley

jlcorley New Member

i have found in my experience that parents who chose a unique spelling for a name often are the same ones who get mad when it is mispronounced or misspelled - i recommend the traditional spelling Layla

15. Mountain_Mama

Mountain_Mama Member

"Leila" would be pronounced "LYE-la" though! What about Laylah?