nipple question on bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Nov 11, 2009.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

we use the medela bottles. when the babies drink, they suck the nipple in and it literally collapses. we take it out of their mouths several times to let the 'air' out and fill back up, so to speak.
    would this cause gas? if so, should we switch bottles to lessen the gas? my kids are VERY gassy!

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

Grrr, I tried the VentAirs once, and they did the same thing. I would think that they get more air because I don't think they get any liquid out when the nipple collapses like that. I would switch.

3. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

my babies are also very gassy but i have found that using dr. brown's bottles help out a great deal with the gas issue.

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Wow, that surprises me. We actually started out with Dr. Browns bottles, which were good, but our babies still had bad gas and THE most stubborn burps. So a couple of months ago we switched to Playtex Ventaires and we LOVE them! They work just as good as Dr. Browns, for our boys anyway, and we've NEVER had to deal with nipples collapsing. Although we still use the Dr. Brown nipples, but I would think the vents in the bottom of the bottles is what helps keep the nipples from collapsing. We've always loved the Dr. Browns nipples. Just not cleaning those darn Dr. Browns bottles! ;)

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd probably try different bottles too. That's one of the biggest reason's I prefer the playtex dropins, the dropins collapse as they drink so you don't have to let the air in at all. :)

6. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My boys were very fussy eaters and we went through a ton of bottles. I found that they did that with every bottle so I would make the hole just a little bigger and then they wouldn't have a problem. I used a tooth pick to stretch it a bit because they weren't ready for the next step but it helped. I never tried the Dr. brown bottles but I do like the think baby bottles, after houndreds of dollars in different bottles thats the one that worked but they still sucked in until I widened them. see if you can get different nipples to fit those bottles before you go out and buy all new ones.

7. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

A collapsing nipple like that is often a sign that they're ready for a faster flow nipple.

8. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

As a mom who was recently nursing/ maybe you still are? Id try the playtex nursers or the breastflow bottles.

9. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I have the medela ones as well and the Dr. Browns nipples (they fit on the medela bottles). They all collapse when my babies drink. The occupational therapist recommended using gerber ones that are a thicker silicone for my one baby who is having breathing/sucking issues. They also are very gassy at the moment, tummy issues that seem to go on forever. I want to use the platex nursers with the drop ins that I bought but can't yet because of the one baby's feeding problems. I have tried it with my other daughter and she did ok. Seemed like she sucked it back wayyyy to fast though, and its a slow flow nipple. Very frustrating all this nipple stuff! You'd think they could just suck on anything :)

10. newtothis

i am now just pumping, not nursing.
    the nipples collapse even more when they use the medium flow nipple that medela sells.

11. newtothis

o also notice lots of bubbles rush into the bottle once i remove the nipple from their mouths.

12. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We use the Avent bottles and have never had a problem. My babies love them and I can switch effortlessly from bottle to breast. The nipples are thick silicone and I have never had an issue.

13. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

i had the same problem with medela bottles, it is because they are not vented at all. i switched DD to dr. browns and she loved them and i never had a problem with the collapsing nipple again.