Prevacid question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marleigh, Nov 9, 2009.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

Since the Zantac didn't work for us, I call the Pedi and she prescribed the Prevacid. Thank goodness we have insurance because the prescription costs regularly over $200 for 30 pills...we only had to pay $40 which is still pricy...hopefully worth it!

The instructions are "mix one tab with water to make 1 teaspoon of suspension then give 1/2 teaspoon once daily in the morning" (15 mg solutab).

He is my question, I'm basically waisting 1/2 a teaspoon because I have to mix a whole pill and only give 1/2 teaspoon full...money down the drain. Is there any way to cut the pill or something?? I understand this stuff disovles soooo quickly with any moisture.

For those of you giving Prevacid to you little ones, is there anything I should know about this before I start it tomorrow a.m.

Thanks!

2. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

MY GI told me to just place it on their tongue after I cut in 1/2. It does dissolve quickly so you don't really need the water.
    Also make sure that you give it 1/2 hr before you feed them.

3. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

The pharmacy would compound dd's into a suspension. It was still expensive but not wasteful.

4. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

this is a GREAT method. you just have to watch them until it dissolves to make sure they don't choke. i would place their half tablet in their cheeks and wait a few minutes for it to dissolve.

if you don't like that lately we cut out 15mg solutab in half and lightly dampen it with a little bit of water and place it in their mouths. this is faster and you don't have to worry about it dissolving fast enough in their mouths to cause some minor choking. i place it (because it's still semi-sold after the sprinkle of water) behind their gums and they generally take it and swallow it pretty good.

DEFINETLY give it to them a half an hour before their feed, it helps a lot better.

give it about 6-7 days to see if it full works before asking for something else.

i hope you find something that works for you and the boys soon! good luck!

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes I would cut it in half and not waste it for sure.

Dissolving it is hard because it dissolves into granules, which settle into the bottom of the syringe or whatever you use to dissolve it in. What worked for us was to place the half of a tablet in my dd's cheek, and have a syringe of water handy and just squirt a small amount of water into her cheek while she sucks on my finger. The water helped it dissolve faster, and the sucking motion helped her get all the little granules down. Once it was gone I shot the rest of the water into her mouth to rinse it all down.

Ditto giving 1/2 before feeding, and hopefully you'll see a difference in a couple of days! :hug:

6. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that so many of you were prescribed to only give half of a solutab. Our pedi said to dissolve a whole solutab pill w/ 1 tsp of water and give the whole thing to our son, which is what we've been doing. While our son has silent reflux and was very uncomfortable at times, he never arched his back, projectilve vomited, or screamed for long periods of time. I kinda thought his reflux was on the moderate end and not severe. So again, I'm surprised we've been told to give him a whole solutab when others were told only to give half.

I figured the solutabs were bitter so I never even thought to put it in their cheek. I'll have to try that method out! Because a lot of the granules end up sticking to the dropper. Of course, maybe that's a good thing if we're giving him too much prevacid as it is, LOL. I'll definitely ask the pedi about the dosing at our next visit.

And yes, prevacid is expensive. I was surprised and irritated that our copay was $40 (I was hoping it was a lower tier drug). But for refills I used our mail order prescription service which basically saves us a month's copay, so we got 3 months worth for $80. Thank goodness for insurance!

7. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

prevacid solutabs are actually pretty sweet tasting. while i was in the hospital on bedrest w/the twins they ran out of the regular ones and have to give me a solutab and it was actually not that bad..not bitter at all.

our pedi told us to mix our solutab with water and put it into a dropper also, i did this for the first day but found that the prevacid dissolved sooo quickly and a lot of it stuck to the inside of the dropper so i thought i was just wasting a bunch of it and they weren't getting their full dosage, that's when i began just putting the undissolved tablet in their cheeks and let their own saliva dilute it. that way i knew they were getting all of the medicine.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

Definitely cut it in 1/2. I placed it in the side of their cheeks, and squirted a little water in with a syringe to help it dissolve. GL, I hope it gives them some relief.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I put a half tab of the Prevacid in a syringe with 4 mls of water. And when I gave it I would put it in their cheek and rotate the syringe around as I was squirting it to get all of the granules out.

10. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

The pharmacist gave us a tablet cutter, so you stick in teh whole tab and it cuts it in half. Then we dissolved it in 2-3 ml of water and pulled it up in a bulb syringe and they woudl suck it right out--the key was to make sure keep teh syringe pointing down otherwise the granules get in the bulb---there are tons of ways to do it, but this worked best for us....