I never thought it would be this HARD!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DATJMom, Nov 3, 2009.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Raising twins that is. :headbang: :drinks:

There are days when I wonder what I was thinking. Leah was an easy baby. Slept well. Ate well. Generally happy. What more could you ask for? More kids <_<

I do love my kids on most days, I think (gulp). But, they are making me sad, angry, and crazy. They fight, whine, scream, throw tantrums, and can be just plain BAD. And then they keep me guessing. We will have a good week and I think great we are coming out of the fog and then BOOM it starts back up again. I thought by the time they turned 3 we would be getting out of some of this stuff. I am at my wits end by the end of the day and getting them bathed and into bed is no easy challenge even with my DH around.

I am for the most part consistent. I follow 1-2-3 Magic most of the time. They do sit in time out. But they dont seem to be any worse for the wear. They will go right back and do "it" again and end up in time out AGAIN :gah:

Most days I just want to :escape: and raise my white flag and surrender. They have won!! :drown:

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

There is just something *extra* hard about having two the same age. They seem to fight more, antagonize each other more, compete more, etc., at least as toddlers. Mine are younger than yours (and now I'm reminding myself to never read the 2-4 forum again b/c I keep telling my DH this *will* get easier as they get older - and I don't want to be a liar, just oblivious! :lol:) - but it is just hard. What's that saying? " When its good, it's very, very good - and when it's bad, its horrid!"

Hang in there, there is just NO WAY it isn't easier when they are 4, right? ;)

3. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

You made me think of a nursery rhyme

" There was a little girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very very good but when she was bad she was horrid

THere are easier days and harder days. We used to (sometimes still do) joke that it was a good thing they were/are cute (especially when they are sleeping) because that was their saving grace some days.

It does get easier and harder in someways but it does get easier. But, you miss those sweet round squishy little baby faces. Take a deep breath, pick your battles and for good and for bad this day will pass

Hugs and good luck

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Rachel. You are a great Mom. And, hey, at least they are really cute, right?! :hug:

5. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

:hug: I think the same things.... there have recently been days when I think to myself, "Did God really know what he was doing when he gave me two at a time??!?!?!" Ridiculous, I know, but man there are definitely days when I want to throw in the towel. Of course, then I go peek at them after they've fallen asleep for the night and feel guilty for being so frustrated with them. They're such angels when they're asleep! We just have to remind ourselves that no one could ever love them as much as we do, so therefore no one could ever do anywhere near as good of a job as we can!! :hug:

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

It really is HARD!! :hug: We are all there with you and honestly, it's nice to know what I'm not the only one that feels this way sometimes!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

same here....when they whine for the same thing OVER and OVER again after I've just said no....or tackle each other to get the toy the other one has....etc etc ad nauseum....

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: Rachel you are a great mom and I think all of this feel this way at times... I know I do! I said to a coworker the other day "I don't think I'm going to survive." Then they go and do something so sweet and I think "what was I thinking?!" Of course then the whining and screaming starts and I just want to pull my hair out (I actually pulled out half of one eye brow over the weekend because I was so stressed out- ick). :hug:

9. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Rachel- :hug: I so feel your pain. We are just getting Lauren out of this stage where she throws these horrible, horrible fits (as in I thought something was wrong mentally/emotionally with her) and now Mattie seems to be starting the phase. :drowning: Are you freakin' kidding me?? I also believe that they gang up on me and feed off of each other and that makes it so much harder. As Becky used to say, "this too shall pass" I cling to those words daily!!

BTW, how is your friend? The one with the two sets of twins?? I was thinking of her the other day.

10. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

I have also been feeling completely overwhelmed with all of the crying, whining, fighting, ignoring instruction, etc EVERY DAY!! And the thing that is particulary annoying is that it is ONLY for me. They don't do this for grandparents, DH, or at school!!

So my recent thought is to start some sort of behavior chart. Keeping it simple and positive. Everytime they eat their meal all gone they get a green sticker, everytime they do a BM on the toilet (this is an issue at our house) or go all day without an accident they get a green sticker, everytime they pick up all of their toys in a room they get a green sticker. Put on their shoes, socks and jacket - green sticker. For everytime they are in a timeout, they get a red sticker. At the beginning of the next day the greens and reds get tallied and then they get some sort of reward.

As I said previously, this is only a thought and not yet a practice, but I am planning to create something today if I have some down time at work and try it out.

Good luck!!

11. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

No, no no! This is so not the post I needed to read. I keep telling myself it will get better and here you all are commenting on how bad it still is. :wacko: :help:

12. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I have those days too! Thinking "How in the heck I am going to survive this!" Then I log into TS and find comfort that you all are going through it too! :grouphug: Like a pp said, having 2 kids the same age can be "really extra" hard at times, but then you can have double the reward and double the fun, too!

AND...Marissa is right...even after a really bad day, they look soooo sweet and peaceful while sleeping and it just makes your heart melt. :wub:

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Raising twins is hard. And it is much harder than having a singleton. I know what you mean. :hug:

14. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I hear you.
    There were many many many many days I didn't think I'd make it out the other side of the 2-4 forum. But I did. And I lived to tell. This stage will someday pass. Hang in there.

15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Oh no Rachel! My boys have just started with "mine" and it's driving me nuts! You are a great mom! Everytime I get frustrated with the boys, I just think of something funny they did the day before and it helps...a little. :) Hang in there! Kindergarten is just around the corner!

16. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:grouphug: I'm right there with you. :hug: :hug: :hug:

17. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this! I'm alone with them most of the year, so I get to the point that I almost regret having them (single parenting is rough sometimes). I feel awful for feeling this way sometimes!

18. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

I am here to say that I have been through this & survived. On a side note I am re-living it right now. My sil's youngest is 9 months older than Cody & they are together at least 5 days a week & OMG! The fighting, the copying, the temper tantrums & toy stealing! Like I said before, I survived it once & so will you. Just sneak in extra peeks when they are sleeping.

19. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. It is hard...somedays it seems too hard for me. I didn't know that these little kids could be so loud, mean and hurtful (to each other) until the last few months. This is a stage that will soon pass (i hope).

20. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Hanging in there. Can you believe the girls are almost 6 months old? :woah: One had open heart surgery at 6 weeks and is doing great now. They are pretty much in quarantine due to being preemies, heart surgery, RSV, H1N1, etc. So I hope to see them soon. It's been awhile. Thanks for asking about MWPEF ;)

Oh thank goodness! Thanks.

Thanks ladies. I can always count on you guys for support. :friends:

21. koozie

koozie Well-Known Member

Separate them, as often as you can. Mine get along SOOOOOOOOO much better now that we sent them to separate schools. I can honestly say there is almost NO fighting ever in my house. Seriously. It's as if they missed each other, or aren't sick of each other. They fought ALL SUMMER, but now not at all. It's incredible.

If you can, separate them in the house (different rooms or floors); send one to someone elses house for a drop-off play date; take one to the market and the other one to a neighbor; etc etc etc. It really, really works, and a friend or neighbor is always more apt to take just one than 2.
    BOL!

22. jentwinmom

jentwinmom Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me? I was just taking a peak in this section since mine will be two in 9 days and now I am scared, very scared.

We are already in the "whine when I don't get my way" phase and it makes me feel like I am going to totally lose it. :(

23. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

:hug:'s hang in there Rachel. You'll get through this. Just know we're all going through it with you. :hug:'s again.

24. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

Yes, you all have sufficiently scared me as well - mine will be 2yrs old in 2months, and here I thought it was suppose to get easier! ugh! here is too looking forward to when they turn 4!!