Questions about Baby Monitors

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MuchFaith22, Oct 24, 2009.

1. MuchFaith22

MuchFaith22 Well-Known Member

WE just split up our twins into separate rooms last night, but we only have 1 monitor. One baby is closer, so we left the monitor in the other room...but I'm wanting to get another monitor.

For those who have their twins in separate rooms, did/do you use 2 separate monitors, one for each baby, or how did you work that out? What's the best baby monitors for twins?

Or...when did you quit using monitors? I definitely don't want to quit using ours yet, since they do occasionally still wake up at night...and I'm almost deaf in 1 ear, so many times, I can't hear them wake up (mid-night or in the morning), if I'm laying on my right side...which I turn to subconsciously, sometimes, when I hear them.

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd get another monitor if you can't hear them without.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Fran, in your situation, I would get another monitor. Our rooms are all pretty close together, so I can hear the kids without a monitor. I stopped using it a couple of months ago and at that point, it was just set up for DD's room.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we had trouble with two monitors at our house - we tried to set up my sister's at our house downstairs with ours set up upstairs & we could only get reception on one. it seemed to cancel the other one out. maybe you could buy one system with two monitors?

what we ended up doing is putting my nephew in our bedroom, the girls in their room down the hall & the monitor in the hallway. you have to turn the volume on the receiver up a bit more than normal, but we were able to hear everybody just fine.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

You probably need two different brands if you want two.

6. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We have 2 video monitors and 2 regular monitors for their rooms. As long as they are set on different "channels" you can use the same brand. Their rooms are not very close to ours so we still use both monitors and they are 3 years old.

7. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I have one video and one audio. We had gotten a video with two cameras, but unfortunately one channel refuses to work. We had moved to a different house and hoped that it would work there, but still only one channel so we had to use the audio monitor that we had first gotten for the other boy. Their rooms are far enough away I would not be able to hear them with the door closed. We need to have the door closed because of our dogs. They'd constantly be in and out of the room all night if I didn't close the door which would end up waking us up. It works out pretty well. the frequencies are different. Keep in mind that often cordless phones work on similar frequencies as the monitors. If you have a newer cordless, then you should be ok, but your neighbors and other wireless units in and around your house can also interfere with the signals of the monitors. Mine works well, but sometimes you just have to find a good position to get a good signal.

8. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

I have the girls in separate rooms and I have to have 2 monitors. I have the Fisher-Price Private Connection Monitor with Dual Receivers and it has 10 channels to choose from. One is on channel 2 the other channel 8 and I've never had a problem. I like having the same brand because sometimes one twin sleeps longer. Then it doesn't matter which receiver I grab, I just have to change it to her channel.