Nightlights?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Do any of you have nightlights for your kids rooms? Or do you leave the door open so light spills in? Now that my girls go to bed after the sun sets, it's pitch dark in their room when they go to sleep and I think that's bothering Piper. I'm tempted to get a nightlight but am concerned that it will be too light in their room with one. How do you all handle light at night?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

For my son it's a night light, but since it does make the room quite bright I put it behind the chair in his room. :good: My dd has a air freshener with a night light and it's not bright at all, just a bit of light so it's not pitch dark.

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We do nightlights. They are actually wall mounted lights that plug in. We got them from IKEA. They do make their rooms pretty bright, but we have used them for over a year and that is what they are use to.

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We have one of those battery operated flameless candles. It flickers and everything, my girls love it. All of their plugs are covered by beds or dressers, so there really isn't a place for a nightlight, so we place the fake candle up on their dresser. They love looking at it and it casts real low glow in their room, it's perfect.

5. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

We had to get rid of the plug in one when the boys started using toddler beds b/c they wouldn't leave it alone. I found one called "twilight turtle" and they have a lady bug also and we got one for them for Easter last year. http://mbeans.com/cl...ght-turtle.html It shines stars on the ceiling but isnt very bright. The boys love it!!!!! It doesn't plug in and we keep it up on the dresser and they don't really bother it.

~We got ours at Buy Buy baby for about $30.00

6. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

My kids leave their closet light on.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My nephew has the turtle...it's super cute and my girls love it, too.

8. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Nadia has had the Mobi TykeLight since she was still in the crib -- I love this thing. There are several different versions -- we have the one that is rechargeable, but it doesn't sit on a base.

It looks like a little man, and it glows nicely -- plus, there is a 15-minute timer you can set if you'd like. She's mostly uses it to get up and go to the bathroom, and I think she reads under the covers with it, too, although it's not really bright enough for that. :ibiggrin:

She doesn't have it on to go to sleep, though. All three of my kids sleep in the pitch dark, and I think they like it.

I have two TykeLights for K&K also, but haven't introduced them yet.

9. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We have an old baby monitor with a night light built in to it that sits on top of one of their dressers. It's not bright at all, but is something. It seems to work for them, and they sleep well, so I think we'll stick with just that for now.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We have some Oxo Candela nightlights that we actually bought because someone on TS recommended them. The girls love them. I worry that they're too bright, but it doesn't seem to affect their sleep, and they like that they can "read" by them. Unfortunately one of them seems to be defective and I haven't gotten around to figuring out if I can exchange it, so Sarah is going without her nightlight right now. But on the whole, I would recommend them. Just keep the receipt in case you need to send one back.

We also leave the hall light on (and their door is always open a bit) until we go to sleep. I don't think they are exactly scared of the dark, but since it takes them quite awhile to fall asleep sometimes, they appreciate having some light to read by and not just sitting there in the dark.

11. li li

li li Well-Known Member

We use some cheap nightlight that I picked up at our local DIY store - all the other nightlights we tried fell to pieces too fast (I don't live in the USA and a lot of stuff here is pretty shoddy). Because it's a bit bright - I like for them to have it nearly dark, but just a tiny glow - I painted it with black watercolor. It takes a couple of coats, but you can get the light to the shade you want that way.

12. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Andrew needed a nightlight, and I found a great one at BRU. It's really childproof - the nightlight is all one piece with a whole outlet-cover thing, so you take off the normal outlet plate and screw on the nightlight-plus-outlet plate. This is awesome, because they can't take it off and have an open power outlet to mess with. There's an opening for the second outlet, but with one of those retractable spring-mounted covers. It has a light sensor, and it also has a dimmer, so you have some control over how bright it is. The only downside I found was that the dimmest setting was still a little too bright, but I just put it behind a chair and that took care of it. (Great minds think alike, Liz!)

13. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I do and have always used night lights. I have some of those energy saver night lights, they are not bright at all. Also, sometimes (like now because they are out in the stores) I use colored christmas bulbs for night lights. Right now Claire has a blue one, and it's not light at all, either.

14. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

We use nightlights in the twins' room (they will be four in December), and my 5.5-year-old son also still uses a night light. Oh and I guess we leave the bathroom light on too with their doors open. I have wussy kids I guess. DH doesn't leave the light on for them though when he is home at night.

15. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We didn't put a nightlight into their room until after they were potty trained (overnight). Before that, they were fine with it being pitch black. I actually think they slept better then than they do now. They now each have the night lights from Pottery Barn Kids. This is an example of the one our DD has:

Pottery Barn Kids nightlight

The one our DS is a basketball one, but I don't think they sell it anymore. They are so cute, but are a little brighter than I would want. We also have a generic one in their bathroom which is bright enough that it light the hallway for them, too.

16. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I think I have gone against using a night light only because I am afraid they'll play at night time. My daughter is recently potty trained. I left the potty chair in their room in the dark. She sometimes goes at night and climb back on the bed. I just think she knows exactly where her chair is at night time if she need to go. Also we keep their bedroom door closed with child-proof from the inside door for fire safety. We aren't quite ready for leaving the door open at night nor having them go to the bathroom on their own yet. When the time does come; the light will be shining from the kitchen area once we are official leaving the door crack open.

But for now I think my kids just love sleeping in the dark?!
    RJ

17. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

That was probably me. :D Naomi and Luke have them and I think they're brilliant. These are the ones we have. What I like about them is that they're rechargable, they don't need to plug in, they can have one each (so no arguments about if it's on or off or where to place it), they stay cool to touch however long they're on, they have a very easy to work on/off button and they have a nice soft glow (I really don't think they're that bright, maybe ours are dimmer). I can also say that N & L have had them for years and they still work like new. Alden, if you did get them on my recommendation, I'm sorry you have had trouble with one.

18. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We have a regular lamp with a black light bulb. The black light is bright enough to see but dark enough to not disturb sleep

19. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We have a slightly different version of these in our own bedroom, and I just love them! When our twins were babies and sharing the nursery, I would use one to go in and check on a fussing baby, so the light wouldn't wake the other one. I also fed them at night using only this amount of light, so they wouldn't fully wake up.

And now, DH and I both like to sleep in pitch blackness, so I use one of these lights to find my way to the bathroom, adjust the thermostat, or even to read by if DH is already sleeping.

Can't say enough about them! (Incidentally, one of ours stopped working, too, but the other one still works.)

20. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

We do a nightlight in the hall. The plug in is directly across from the door of their room and it shines just enough so that there is some light but not too much.

21. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We have one similar to this because I didn't want there to be bulbs to replace or get hot in case the boys got to it. We close their door and leave the night light on for them. No way I could leave their door open because it's right into the living room where we are at when they go to bed.

22. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

No nightlights in the boys room. If they can see each other, the shenanigans start instead of going to sleep. <_< My DD has one that changes color (Costco) and you can control the color and how bright it is. Love it! :good:

23. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We have this too in the girls' room. Oh and also the twilight ladybug. They love "Mr. Ladybug" :D