Listening to music is torture?

Discussion in 'General' started by bkimberly, Oct 22, 2009.

1. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

I read this article and a part of me chuckled.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/22/musicians.guantanamo/index.html

Listening to loud heavy metal music and kids songs are torture??? I knew all those Wiggles songs were annoying but torturous??? I guess my Motley Crue days in my teens were torture to for my parents. Sorry, I just think there are so many things that are more important and newsworthy that this one is comical.

2. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Several former Guantanamo detainees have filed lawsuits against the U.S. government, saying they were tortured with numerous techniques, including loud music.

Oh, well I guess after they got done torturing them in various other wonderful ways *maybe* music wouldnt be the worst? And I am with you about newsworthy stories--I wanna see more missing little white girls and boys in flying objects. :rolleyes:

3. bkimberly

Could you not respond to any more of my posts?
    I am not condoning torture, but seriously being forced to listen to loud music??? Every parent of a teenager can join that lawsuit. I found it hilarious this was a headline on CNN.com. As for your last comment...I will just leave it because if I say what I really think about it I will be kicked of this forum.

ETA: If you have something to say to me take it to PM because your responses to my posts get old. This is obviously personal for you so keep it that way and take it to PM.

4. OneBoyOneGirl

Things like your OP beg a response, and are more suited for the Den anyway. Torturing prisoners is a little past the fluff of TC, no? As for listening to loud music as torture, if you have never been tortured then I dont really think you should be the judge of what is and isnt torture. *But* music as torture is a known fact and isnt something they have made up. They pump it in through the room, or hole, or whatever all the time(24/7)(<--BTW its also done to keep them from knowing what time or day it is. It keeps them from hearing the birds in the morning), at incredibly high volumes for days or weeks at time.

***Why do you always say "its personal" you havent said anything in a long time that I thought was worth my time to respond to. This is.

1 person likes this.
  5. bkimberly

I am sure you are an expert on all things torture and we should all acknowledge your superior knowledge. Should we call you the Queen of Torture??? As for where I put my posts that is not your decision.

I'm done with your comments, I've asked you to just move on and leave my threads alone, we just do not agree or get along.

The OP was said tongue in cheek, as previously stated I am not condoning torture it is just comical to think of it at face value. Try to relax and laugh a little.

6. OneBoyOneGirl

Maybe you try to read a little. Then I wouldnt have to teach you everything.

7. bkimberly

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...keep thinking you are of superior intelligence, I'm sure that is working out well for you.

8. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Sorry to butt in, but you could do just about anything to someone for a long time, that normally would be considered enjoyable (time alone, for instance), and it will cause a human being extreme distress. OK, interruption over :popcorn:

3 people like this.
  9. bkimberly

Ellen I totally get that. I love a massage but if I had to endure it 24/7 it might not be quite so nice. Okay, it would still feel great! :ibiggrin: However, I do see your point. I was merely pointing out that at first glance the article was humorous, because as I have stated any parent of an obnoxious teen or a sick child that wants to watch the same video over and over could claim torture.

10. OneBoyOneGirl

^^^This part of your post Kim, turns it into something different and look like a joke, but a debate.

2 people like this.
  11. bkimberly

Yes at first glance it is comical compared to 7,000 people losing their jobs daily, or Madoff's cocaine parties, or that little girl in Florida. In the grand scheme of the daily news at first glance this headline is funny.

12. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

If I was a musician and was against torture (which I am, FTR) I would also be furious if I found out that my music was used to torture. . .

13. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

While the headline itself may be funny, the subject matter is not. No, parents having to listen to their kid's music is not anything close to what this article is about. Torture is not just physical abuse, and this falls into the emotional and mental abuse category. Seemingly tame, but, in reality, probably very effective. Not that I'm in favor of any kind of torture.

14. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

What in the world?

15. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Hey, everyone knows I love music and the louder the better, but seriously forcing anyone to listen to music piped in at deafening levels 24 hours a day could rattle anyone's nerves. That would be torture even to me! (Make it DMB or the Wiggles and I'm pretty certain my ears would bleed and fall off too. [​IMG] )

16. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

I have a son who sang non stop for over 10 hours "It's a small world" and not just "It's a small world" just the main part of that song, maybe 20 seconds worth of music. 10 hours a 20 seconds of lalalalalalalalalalaaaa... too many times! I swear it was worse than having your fingernails ripped out! So I understand the Guantanamo people!
    M.

ETA: I forgot to mention the "Small world" adventure happened inside our car! 10 hours car with that song non stop. Felt a lot like prison!

17. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

wow, seems like YOU are making it personal! If every time I responded to a thread it was "personal" I wouldn't have a life, maybe she's just posting, just a thought.

2 people like this.
  18. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

:laughing: Lately my girls have been singing the Barney song--in Spanish--over and over during our morning commute, it's only about 25 minutes, but it's nonstop for those 25 minutes. By the time I drop them off at school I've completly had it! Their teacher must feel sorry for them, having a mommy with such a short fuze.

19. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

See? I know! That is pure torture. Seriously! It's not just torture it would be enough to make me go off the deep end. [​IMG]

20. bkimberly

If every time you responded to the same person in an antagonistic way it would be personal. That was why I told that person to take it to PM. I'm tired of hashing it out in threads.

21. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Stick to the original topic or this thread will be closed. If you want to have a personal discussion this is not the place for that, that is why we have PMs (which by the way can still be reported).

22. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

We drove from western TN to the DC area. ALL the way there DD2 sang the "Snow Miser/Heat Miser" song. She did know all the words, but we have never been so happy to have a child nap in the car! :help:

23. caba

caba Banned

They call me Heat Miser
    Whatever I touch
    starts to melt in my clutch!

He's too much!

Thank you!

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh, how I love the Heat Miser!

25. bkimberly

I was just typing the same thing!!!
    ETA: Maureen, I love your avatar pic!

26. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thanks! It's one of my favorites of them! Seems so long ago.

27. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Billy Ray Cyrus' song Achy-Breaky Heart was used to torture the folks during the Waco standoff. I consider having to listen to that song once cruel and unusual.

28. bkimberly

See now that is just funny! I'm glad some people saw my sense of humor in this. I would never ever condone torture. Well let me rephrase that if someone hurts one of my children then it would be different. I honestly posted this because it made me smile to think of someone being forced to listen to something as silly as Barney or It's a Small World over and over and over. Like I did today when DS kept singing "I don't like candy corn" over and over and over. Damn that moose on Noggin!

29. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Perfectly said.

30. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

1200 miles, each way, to and from Indiana, listening to the soundtrack of The Lion King is enough to tell me that music can be torture, and that was music I originally enjoyed (and do now that that event was ~15 yrs ago) and playing at "normal" levels.

31. CatherineMay

CatherineMay Well-Known Member

:mellow:

In the documentary Standard Operating Procedure, they say that one of their methods of... um, bending the prisoners was to pump loud music into their cells so they couldn't sleep, couldn't think, couldn't pray.

I think that's awful. Even imagining the Wiggles being used doesn't make that funny. Having to sit there in a small space while music is thumping, deliberately used so you can't collect yourself, think, can't even comfort yourself with your religion or daily traditions... yeah, I wouldn't want it.

2 people like this.
  32. bkimberly

Wow, in almost all of my posts in this thread I have stated repeatedly that I do not condone the use of torture with the exception of someone hurting my children. I was not commenting on the act of not allowing people to sleep, pray, or whatever through the blasting of loud music. I was having a laugh at a headline that hit me as funny. I'm glad some of you understood and shared your own versions of "torture", it is nice to know that some people still have a sense of humor and that not everything in life has to be PC 24/7.

33. CatherineMay

CatherineMay Well-Known Member

Bands want to know if their music was used on Gitmo detainees

That's really funny? I'm not saying it's particularly tragic, either (because it's not, not at face value), but I don't look at it and laugh. Things like Balloon Boy (as a title, mind) were funny (that's why the entire internet picked up on it). Maybe I'm missing the joke.

I don't think it's a matter of being PC; I've laughed at some of the most appalling jokes you'll hear about all sorts of unfunny things. And it's not like anyone here is saying, "Oh, you find this funny, you condone torture".

:banana:

2 people like this.
  34. bkimberly

Sorry, but I see it differently, and that was not the original headline on CNN. So yes, I did laugh when I read it especially after listening to my son sing "I don't like Candy Corn" ALL DAY!

35. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

Good point!

Actually, no. You did comment it being "comical" and not newsworthy or important enough.

Well then, I suppose if the headline read "Bands want to know if their music was used to torture soldiers" all those people with a sense of humor, would be laughing their butts off... Good to know.