fighting..and sharing toys

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gimena, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

DD is all over my DS. When he is near her, she grabs his shirt, pulls him down, grabs his hair, bites him, takes away
    what ever toy he has...and he cries..and cries...- he used to smack her head but that was only for attention to
    get out of the play yard. and she is not even walking yet (he is so I figured he would get away...)
    So I'm constatly having to comfort ds and keep them away from each other. Now we recently got
    the car they go inside to ride - he climbs on it she doesn't, but it a constant battle..she pulls him from the outside...
    do you just let them work it out?
    do you have 2 riding toys of everything?

2. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

we only have 1 riding toy of everything, well a train and a horse. i figured it might be a good lesson in learning to share. most of the time, i let them figure it out, but depending on my mood, lol, i'll step in because i also have one who dominates the other. i think it's a requirement for twins... lol.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

most of the time i let them sort it out on their own. i do step in when there's any biting (that's a time out offence in our house) or serious hitting or kicking.

ETA: my girls aren't into riding toys at all - we have one, but neither of them plays with it, so i'm not much help there. :pardon:

4. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

Sometimes they share and sometimes they don't. I applaud them when they do share. But if they have to fight it out, I won't step in until there's hitting or some sort of aggression going on. Sometimes one will have a small tantrum. I still won't step in unless the tantrum includes hitting or throwing things at the other.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine are off and on about sharing. They don't get as physical with each other as they used to between 12-18 months. Now they come and complain to me. But in those earlier months, I would let them work it out unless there was hitting, kicking or biting involved. Those were TO worthy offenses and the toy got put away until they could play nice.

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Mine are off and on with the sharing too. They're usually pretty good about it, but sometimes [for example] when Alyssa is Really into a book or toy and Rose goes and snatches it from her and pushes her over, Alyssa gets really upset about it and comes to me crying. I usually let them work it out, but if I feel that Rose did it on purpose just to be mean, I'll step in and say, "Rose, that was Not Nice," and point my finger at her then I'd give the book back to Alyssa.

I don't give the negative behavior any more attention than that, but I want them to know that their mean actions are not acceptable.

We have to of the same [different color] riding toys and a lot of times one will be playing with it and the other will see it and want it too. Then they start to fight over it. If I see them really struggling I'll go grab the other and [silently] set it in plain sight [near them] and then walk away.

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of work it out, but I do draw the line at biting or anything that I think can cause injury.

8. jenniferkkelly

jenniferkkelly Well-Known Member

Like other people said, we also let them work it out unless someone starts biting or hitting. We do have 2 of some toys, but even still, they'll fight over one....even when I'm next to them saying "Look, here's one that just like that one!"....they don't care & they want whatever the other has.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Ditto. They are just now starting to grasp the idea of turns, but it depends upon their mood. Anna always thinks it is "Anna's turn".