probiotic whole milk yogurt?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinnerbee, Oct 7, 2009.

1. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I use the Stonyfield Farms whole milk yogurt for my LOs, but I haven't seen any with probiotics. I was just reading the flu/H1N1 thread and it made me think that i need to find some with probiotics for them. For those of you who use it, do you just give them some regular low fat yogurt with the probiotics and then whole milk yogurt, too, for the fat? Or is there one out there with both?

2. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

A much easier solution (in my humble opinion) is to continue with the whole milk yogurt you already like, and add probiotic powder to it. I have found kids probiotic powder at Whole Foods, Wild Oats and Vitamin Cottage. The powder I buy is strawberry flavored and it mixes in nicely with applesauce and yogurt.

3. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

we mix half of the probiotic with half of the whole milk yogurt.
    If there is a whole milk yogurt out there with probiotics I would buy it! Someone should really make it, I'm pretty sure it would sell!

4. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm a big pessimist about many of these product claims and marketing. My understanding is that yogurt has naturally occurring probiotics--that's what the live active cultures are right? That's why they say yogurt can cure yeast infections because the bacteria in it eat up the yeast.

So I don't know if these folks add extra cultures to their yogurt or if they are just messing with people's heads, and making a claim about something that is already in the yogurt.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

This is correct. The definition of probiotics keeps changing, but yogurt contains beneficial bacteria which are considered probiotic under most definitions of the word. But there are many different strains. Even different types of yogurt have different strains of bacteria. So the "probiotic" powders that are sold are probably just different types of bacteria than what's in yogurt. You can look up what strains are in different brands of yogurt (and probiotic powders), and then research the health claims for each of them to decide which ones you'd like to serve to yourself and/or your LOs.

At least, this is how I understand it, but I'm sure a microbiologist could correct my mistakes! :)

6. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Rachel - thanks for pointing that out! My DH started buyig probiotic for himself and i never actuallu did any research. I just kept hearing people (other moms especially) talk about how they would help for the cold season!

I just compared DH's container of "probiotic" yogurt to the organic stoneyfield farm whole milk yogurt I already give my LOs...and the probiotics are exactly the SAME! Stoneyfield farm ust must not advertise it like it's something new. There is a very small place on the back that simply says "OurPprobiotic Formula" and lists the same live cultures that the special probiotic yogurt advertises...and actually one extra! Thanks again...problem solved :)

7. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

;) No problem. I hate it when people get tricked by these companies; it's all about sneaky marketing.

I've always heard yogurt and acidophilus have similar bacteria in them. That's basically what it is--a good bacteria that helps with digestion and apparently helps control the yeast growing in your body. Now all of the sudden probiotics are really trendy, so a bunch of companies have latched on to that phrase.

I don't know if it really boosts immunity, but you definitely need some good bacteria to keep your body in balance. This is TMI but worth it to tell others. I was having chronic yeast infections several years ago, and those over the counter creams would clear it up for a short time, and then it would come right back. I used boric acid (sounds scary, but it's not--although you don't eat it; it's a vaginal suppository) and acidophilus to help get myself back in order. My PH level was off, and the yeast were growing out of control. Acidophilus and yogurt have pretty similar bacteria, so this is why you always hear people tout yogurt as helpful in treating yeast.

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

http://www.stonyfield.com/Wellness/probioticcultures.cfm

I was worried about the Stonyfield yogurt a few months ago too... and found this on their website. it talks about the probiotic cultures in their yogurt. and like you said, on the ingredients it shows the 6 that it has.

9. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

you can always make your own! if you have a crockpot and a container of yogurt that has the strains of flora you're looking for, you can make it really easily. you can PM me if you're interested. i've made lots of whole milk yogurt at home. it's really tasty.

10. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Just a quick note that it's not tricky marketing for all of us. In my house, we all eat yogurt with six strains of active cultures, and take a probiotic powder with an additional 13 more, different from what's in the yogurt. One of my daughters has reflux and the additional probiotics visibly improve her symptoms. It helped her so much DH and I wondered what it could do for us. Since we've started taking probiotics DH has all sorts of health improvements (small ones... I'm not claiming probiotics cure cancer or anything). But his digestive system is working better and he feels more energetic.

I do agree that there are multiple probiotic supplements out there that are nothing more than powdered yogurt. But like anything else, you have to do your own research and ensure what you're paying for is worth it.

11. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

another good reason to use the stonyfield baby yogurt: they add vitamin D3. we humans that do not live near the equator and do a good job of protecting ourselves against the sun are largely deficient (especially during winter aka flu season) which can cause all sorts of bad news.... a severely weakened immune system is just the start! So, bulk up on that D! It's not normally found in foods in their natural state... has to be added or taken as a supplement or better yet made after your skin sees some sun!

Dr. Mercola's Vitamin D Resource Page