Up playing in the middle of the night!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by E&Msmom, Sep 28, 2009.

1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

We transitioned to toddler beds 8 days ago and its been great (for the most part).
    Saturday both babies refused to take a nap and thats NEVER happened before. DS actually made it the whole day 7a-7p with no problems :blink:
    DD on the other hand went down hill around 430 so I allowed her a 30 minute nap at that point. She fell asleep in her rocking chair in her room (next to her bed) it was the funniest thing. I always wondered how parents got picturs of their kids sleeping in weird places or positions- now I know.

Then last night I was having trouble sleeping myself when I heard the kids chattering like they do every morning. DH still wasnt in bed yet (he sometimes works night shift which means he gets home at 7am so I thought it must be like 6:50am or something) when I looked at the clock it was 3:45. I flipped on the video camera in the babies room and they were both up playing!
    I went in their room, changed their diapers, gave everyone some water and a graham cracker and then sat in the rocking chair until they went to sleep at 5:15. I thought surely they would sleep in since they played during the night. NOPE. 7am on the dot they were up again. :woah:

Where are they getting this energy? does something happen around the 19th month mark Im not aware of?? Please tell me this is a phase like everything else.... on the bright side this is part of the reason we decided to adjust to toddler beds now- I figured Im 8 months pregnant Im not going to be sleeping much anyway right?

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

No idea on how to solve that problem as mine are still in cribs. :blush: BUT I do hope they start sleeping and no more parties at 4AM!! :hug:

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

And thank you for convincing me to keep mine in cribs forever! :shok:

That's hilarious though!

4. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add here too but find it adorable:)

5. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

OMG!! Sorry I am of no help to you but I'm with everyone else.... cribs are sounding great long term!! That's just crazy and hilarious! Good luck! I hope it passes with the tides as does most of the crazy stuff our little guys do!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

oh man. i'm thinking of trying to transition to beds around 18 months for various reasons but this does not sound good...hopefully it's just a phase? sending :lazy: vibes your way.

7. ejradcliffe

ejradcliffe Well-Known Member

Mine are doing the same thing! Just last night they were up fussing/crying at 130a. I changed both diapers, refreshed water, then I could not fall back asleep. I ended up reading in my room for almost two hours and heard them in there talking/playing in their cribs the entire time!

I'm lost with sleep issues...my 5-year-old was also awake the entire time. My husband says it's like a bus station at our house...someone up and about at all hours of the day and night.

8. E&Msmom

Dont be discouraged! With the exception of the last night incident and the 1 nap on saturday, we have successfuly had 7 other naps and 7 other full nights of sleep! The babies go down without a fuss and they are still young enough that when I tell them its night-night time and not to get up they listen to what I say :) They actually took 2 naps and went to bed today without a problem :)

Even DH said this transition went WAY SMOOTHER than what he was prepared for and he was the skeptic!

9. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

It sounds pretty normal to me. Mine do what you're talking about with the not napping, here and there and they are 24 months. It's been happening for awhile. It's annoying FOR SURE and mine do not go to bed any earlier OR sleep any longer either! UGH.

I'm glad it's gone soo well w/ the toddler beds.

I'm another who is keeping mine in cribs til they're 18 tho. They love their cribbies so that's a plus! Mine also don't share a room so when they finally do turn 18 (joke), they won't be able to have a party (together) so that will be nice.

Congrats on baby almost being here! Do you know what you're having?

10. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

mine are almost 2 and are doing hte same thing! no advice (wish i had the answers), but wanted you to know you're not alone!
    i'm not giving up on nap time, tho i MAYYYY make their bedtime a little later...? i will try everything under the sun before i give up their naps!!!!!!

11. E&Msmom

Thank-you! and no, the gender will be a suprise :)