formula stain remover

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by slr814, Sep 13, 2009.

1. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have recomendations on a stain remover that will get out formula stains? I have a couple of happy spitters, and they don't own a unstained garment. Also any special laundering tips that you do would be helpful. What I am using/ doing is not working.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I have a lot of luck with Oxy Clean. The powder in the big tubs. For the worst stains, I soak in water with OxyClean in the washer overnight. It gets rid of about 80% of stains for me. That formula spit up is the worst though.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I second the Oxy Clean, it removed most of our stains. We used Oxy Clean Baby or Oxy Clean Free.

4. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to get stains out after the clothes have gone through the wash, but I've been able to keep from getting them. As soon as they're done spitting up I change them and spray their clothes with Shout or Spray 'n Wash. Even the Oxiclean pretreater stuff seems to work. Then I toss the clothes in the washer with the next load I do. I also add Chlorox 2 (no dye kind) to the load.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oxy Clean here too!

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I'm also an oxyclean user. For particularly difficult stains, I boil some hot water in a big pyrex measuring cup, add a scoop of oxyclean, and then dip the stained stuff into the boiling water. It almost always works. I always do this in the sink because it often bubbles over.

7. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

Baby oxyclean..I pick it up at BRU and love it. I soak everything for at least two hours, dump the water and put in the wash!

Jenn

8. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

Another Oxyclean user. really good stain remover.

9. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

We use oxyclean too and love it but I was wondering, pre oxyclean use we have some clothes that have stains on them so they have been washed and dried. Anyone have any luck with getting these types of stains out?

10. jhart923

jhart923 Well-Known Member

I've used oxy clean and the Dreft stain remover. That worked well for me too.

11. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

We've always had luck with Shout, even when I don't Shout it until right before washing.sometimes that can be days :) we've had many clothes saturated in vomit, and even popsicle stains and such from the older kids.

12. MelinaS79

MelinaS79 Well-Known Member

Dreft stain remover is the only stuff I keep in the house. I even use it on the stuff my DH gets dirty when he's outside working on stuff. It got out car grease, it'll get out anything. LOL!

13. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I used to keep a bucket of Oxi Clean to put bibs in, but once they started baby food I found that Zout has been great! I found this website that might be helpful too!

14. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

Those new Tide laundry boost gel packs are amazing for stains. You just throw them in with the load and the stains are gone.

15. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

I actually use something called Zout. You can pick it up at Walgreens or Walmart. A few squirts and let it soak till you're ready to wash and knock on wood....all my stains have come out. Even prune spit up on white sheets. I like the stuff and think it's reasonably priced. I haven't ever tried Oxy Clean but I may just try it after reading the pp as a stain boost for my husbands clothes!!! :D

16. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I immediately always spray the stain with spray n wash, works well for me!

17. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

OK, I think I need to get some oxy clean. I use zout, and it works for the baby food, but not the formula.

18. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I use the oxiclean liquid stuff that I add right with my detergent. But for old stains I soak in Oxi for 3 full days. I had spit up stains on my first sons clothes that sat for 2 years and they still came out!

19. kmay

kmay Well-Known Member

Stain Stick! I keep one in my DD's room and when she gets ready for bed I check her clothes for stains and treat them, throw them in the hamper and it pretty much removes everything.

20. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

i just started using this new stuff called "nature's source" it's from the shout people...i used to use the shout gel, but they stopped making it or something (it's not in the bottle with the scrubby top any more at least, and i can't find it anywhere)...it ROCKED when i used it last night on the baby clothes...i don't know yet about clothes that have already been dried with the formula on them, but a lot of the clothes had the formula dried out on them and it removed it completely even on white and colored clothes...i'll be trying it on the newborn size stuff as i get it ready to pass on to other mommies

21. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Before putting laundry in the wash, I check clothing for stains (for all three kiddos) and spray with the oxy clean spray (these are stains that have sat but haven't been washed). Then I wash them with detergent and liquid oxy clean. This method has gotten out everything from formula, prunes/babyfood on white bibs to white undershirts soaked in mud(of course i rinsed these in the sink first then sprayed then washed).