Obstetric Cholestasis

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mish_lewis, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

I am waiting for results from my blood test for Obstetric Cholestasis (sometimes called ICP or OC).
    I have itching all over, mostly on my hands and feet. It gets really bad in the evening.
    ICP happens when bile salts build up in your blood due to issues with the liver and I read that it can be harmful to the babies.
    Has anyone else experienced this….or something like it?

2. leahkatebrown

leahkatebrown Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I have no experience with OC. But I was worried about it at my last OB appt because I had started to itch to the point I thought I was headed to the loony bin. I asked my dr, and he looked at me and wasn't at all concerned- said that mine is most likely caused by my ridiculous swelling. As my skin stretches to accomodate- mostly in my hands and feet- it causes the itching. Mine is worse at night also. You're doing the right thing by getting the test, obviously...but in the meanwhile I wanted to offer up another explanation so maybe you won't worry as much. Good luck!

3. jmk71171

jmk71171 Active Member

I had it when I was pregnant with my son (only a singleton) and I fully expect it to return with the twins. I mainly had itching on my feet and hands and a bit on my legs. They gave me some prescription - not sure what it was, but I had no side effects and the itching went away almost immediately. The entire situation went away immediately after I gave birth. I really didn't worry about it too much to be honest. I'm almost 22 weeks along now and no signs yet.

4. mish_lewis

Thanks.....
    but I just returned from the doctors office and I have it :(
    My doctor is consulting with the perinatal dr to come up with a plan of action. If yours gets worse at night and you are not showing signs of dry skin, just itchiness. I would insist on the test.

5. mish_lewis

That is great news!
    Did you go full term with your son?
    They are discussing delivering me early, because of the 15% increase of stillborn. I am hoping they give me meds to get me through to 34 weeks, I am at 32 weeks now.

I read on the internet that OC starts usually in the third trimester and has a 60% chance of returning with the next pregnancy.

6. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

I had it and had to deliver before 38 weeks as there can be problems after that. itchymoms.com is a good site for information. I was on the medication which did help a little with the itching. I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can.

7. lillysmom

lillysmom Well-Known Member

I have it now. I was diagnosed at 31 weeks. I was started on Ursodiol, 250mg 3 times/day, and it has helped a lot with the itching. I am delivering next week at 36.4 weeks as my peri and ob said delivery should occur at 37 weeks. Apparantly, if you deliver later in pregnancy there is risk of fetal distress and still birth. I also bought the OTC lotion, Sarna, and it helps. It doesn't have any steroids in it.

Feel free to PM with any more questions. I hope you get some relief soon!

8. mish_lewis

Thank you!
    That is a great website.