her bottom is excoriated... skin is open

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by foppa2102, Sep 3, 2009.

1. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

dd's have had diaper rashes since last saturday, and sadie is my fair skinned girl, and her bottom has had open, excoriated areas since monday. i called the pedi nurse on monday and have been doing everything she said, actually was already doing everything since the rashes started on saturday, but just needed reinforcement that i was doing the right thing. we switched to soy everything, maintained them on a brat diet, and sadie continues to have loose stools and it's keeping her bottom from healing up. i talked to a pedi nurse that works at my hospital this week and she said i was doing all that could be done too. is there anything the pedi can do? any meds for diarrhea? any prescription meds for diaper rash? i've tried so many different combinations of diaper rash meds, yeast creams, A&D ointment etc. it just looks and is sooo painful to her when i clean her up. anyone have stories to share about trips to the pedi for diarrhea and/or diaper rash with open skin? i plan on calling at 9am when they open.

2. danachang

danachang Well-Known Member

My son Chris went through a time about this age with bad diaper rash. If possible try and "air" her out a bit. I used to strip off his diaper and fan his butt. Normally he wouldn't sit still but one that cool breeze hit his butt he would lay there a bit. We would just try several times a day. Also Diaper rash is basically a burn so anything with silvadene (sp?) which is a burn creme seemed to help. Finally, my mom had me doing oatmeal paste on his butt once, which seemed to help the uncomfortable side effect, but that was a pure headache and only done when it was almost batch time. It is tough but sounds like you are doing all you can.

3. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

There is a prescription strength diaper ointment. The name on the container is Cholestyramine. G was give this in the NICU, it is very think and I think helps create more of a barrier between the skin and stool so it can heal.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we recently had the same issue when I decided to start the twins on a little bit of whole milk. I had the loose stools and diaper rash on my ds. I quit the milk and it didn't help, then I started a BRAT diet and that wasn't helping either. I went to my pedi and b/c it had been so long he said to do a high protein (and a lower carb) diet... which is not the same as BRAT. he said to do it for 3 days. we were out of town and kept botching it accidently, but giving them stuff that made it flare up again. now that we are home, the stools are finally after the 2-3 days getting back to normal - YAY.

not sure if you want to try the higher protein or not. our pedi said yogurt was still fine in fact is good for digestion. we did a lot of legumes (beans, lentils), tofu, yogurt, eggs (we're vegetarian, so no meats for us...). he also said veggies were fine too. I quit all fruit and cheese, breads, milk etc. I'm going to keep on the higher protein for a little while until I get back to full solid chunks - then I hope to add back in their normal diet.

as for diaper rash - we were told to just do the Aquaphor - or probably plain petroleum jelly would be ok... and then diaper cream. we have Triple Paste that we'd just bought. The doc said to slather it on thick.

the combination of the high protein and the creams really worked wonders for us.

I hope that you get your babies bottoms and digestion back under control - its horrible isn't it! good luck.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have the same issue with my DD. Our doc told us the same thing with the Aquaphor and diaper cream :hug: It's hard to see the little ones in pain like that especially for a diaper rash that just won't go away.

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I forgot to ask in the other thread, but I'm curious how you are washing her butt.

When my boys had diarrhea for 2 weeks, we just rinsed their bottom with a one of those baby nasal aspirators. I took them to the tub and gently squirted water on their butt. Then I dabbed the water with a towel, and then butt pasted and powdered them.

7. Maymay

Maymay Well-Known Member

We had the same problem, we called it toxic poop! Here is what out pedi had us do:
    1. Pedi said no baby wipes, moist cloth only. I couldn't bring myself to do it so I bought Huggies sensitive wipes and they seemed to tolerate them better than the normal ones.
    2. 5 - 10 minutes of naked from the waist down after every poopy diaper then put on cream and diaper.
    3. Prescription diaper ointment - he gave us 1234 diaper cream which is a pain because it has to compounded at a special pharmacy but totally worth the extra effort
    4. Add extra fat to their diet and continue to give plenty of carbs
    5. For fruits stick with bananas and apples
    6. Yogurt with live cultures
    7. Don't flood them with extra fluids, give them just a little more than usual but don't over do it because it can make the diarrhea worse

btw... Some kids get worse bowel issues on soy, when my sister's son had stomach issues her pedi told her to give him lactose-free milk because its mostly the lactose that causes the problems with diary to begin with (even though her son is not lactose intolerant)

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

yeah, i meant to add that the 2nd time i asked about diaper rash the 2nd doc suggested no baby wipes either. we normally cloth diaper, so I have cloth wipes and we just used those... but if it grosses you out... then yes try sensitive ones, or just go to the bath tub.

hopefully it clears up soon.

9. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Lily had this three times during the first year. She had two raw spots on her bottom that were just red and inflamed with no skin on them. I felt so bad for her. Our ped recommended Bactracin (spelling). It is an oinment sold by the bandaids. We applied it at every diaper change and within 2 or 3 days her skin was totally healed. It ran about $4.00 per tube and he told me not to buy the generic. The tube is good for about 1 or 2 years, so I have it in their medical needs box. Good luck and I hope it clears up soon.

10. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

update- i spoke with the nurse this morning and she said there were 2 different prescription diaper creams and had to talk to the pedi to decide which one he wanted. i am still waiting for the call back so she can call in the rx.

as far as washing their bottoms, i am using huggies sensitive skin hypoallergenic bath cloths that you wet and they have a gentle soap in them, i pat them, never rub, and then fan her dry.

11. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Aaron was allergic to certain diapers and would get terrible diaper rash from them. We were living in Ecuador, and he was allergic to every single diaper sold there. We eventually had to import diapers from the US. Could it be an allergic reaction: to diapers, cream, food, wipes?

12. Bridgett

Bridgett Well-Known Member

My pedi recommended something awhile back that cleared up my dd's butt almost overnight. She said do not spend your money on those expense diaper cremes.

She said to first put hydrocortizone cream (1/2 percent - not the whole percent that was on the shelf at our pharmacy - we had to ask our pharmacist) and then put zinc oxcide over it, on there thick like icing. Worked better than any of the expensive diaper creams and way cheaper.

We had to do this again recently when Claire had diahrea and the rash cleared up 90% overnight. Those two products are a dream.

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

a mixture of Maalox and Eucerine is also supposed to help...Maalox for the acid reduction and Eucerine for the thick creamy staying part (the Eucerine cream that you buy in the tub, not in the tubes...)

14. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

In addition to all of the medicinal remedies I would really try not to use any soap on it. It just causes it to burn. Well maybe soap once a day, but other than that just water. When this happened to us, I would take them to the tub after every poop and rinse 'em down with the water from the nasal aspirator.

I also put one of them in an uncovered cloth diaper. Those allow much more air.

15. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We were told baking soda baths would help soothe the area (not sure that it helps heal it though). We had a dish pan and would rinse their butt then let them sit in the dishpan with warm water and baking soda. After that we leave the diaper off for as long as we think it's safe :) I've not had much luck with any of the ointments so I'll leave those recommendations to the others.

16. BMartinez72

BMartinez72 Well-Known Member

we used aveeno collidal oatmeal bath stuff. it was powdered and in a single use packet for and adult-sized drawn bath. it gave us about 4 baths and we loved it! but aside from the occassional poop induced rash, or yeast rash - my girls also got rashes from the majority of diaper creams out there. i would slather some on to be proactive if i saw a bit of diarrhea and it would just explode overnight. so if one doesn't seem to be working or it gets worse, try a different brand for sure!

17. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

When my girls used to get horrible diaper rashes, I would let them go without diapers as soon as I cleaned them up from the loose stool or BM and then especially after a bath. I would let them go in the buff for a while just to air out, then lather them up with the medicated cream or diaper cream. It seemed to really help.

18. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I just tried this for Josh's rash and it's almost gone! :Clap: He's had a horrible rash for almost 2 weeks now. I tried Mylanta & Aquaphor, Butt Paste A&D Ointment & one other brand that cost $16/tube. I also tried an anti-fungal. If it did not clear up by Tuesday I was going to have to take him into the pedi.

I started using it yesterday and when I changed him this moring I noticed a huge improvement.

So Thank You! :bow2:

19. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

You've gotten some good advice, but I thought I would add another recommendation for Aquaphor as well. DD gets bad diaper rashes when she's not feeling well. We do a lot of baths and no soap. I swear by the thickest coating of aquaphor that you can put on and changing even the only a bit wet diaper often.

Finally, this last part is a bit odd... a family thing I suppose, my mom taught me when DD had one of her first bad rashes. She told me to place my palm across the rash and hold it there for 20-30 seconds. I do that and then let her air out and then do it again, slather her down and diaper her.

I hope the rashes heal soon! Poor babies!

20. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

I too do the combination of hydrocortisone cream followed by Desitin. It works great and really takes the red and sting out.

21. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it is all clearing up. My daughter had one and I felt so bad for her. I put her in a bath with some salt (like a saline bath or a sitz bath for pg women) and then i used a cream we have here called "Paw Paw ointment" the stuff is AMAZING. The doctor also recommended it for my nipples since I had a cut underneath my nipple that wasn't clearing up... worked so quickly. If you ever see it there in the health stores buy some to keep on hand. Great stuff.