YOUR weight?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by IVF TWINS, Aug 10, 2009.

1. IVF TWINS

IVF TWINS Well-Known Member

I'm a little worried about my weight but at my last Dr. appt (almost a month ago) my Dr. was not. I'm short (5'3) and plus size. I was told not to gain more then 15-20lbs during this pregnancy b/c of my weight. I was told 10-15lbs with my DD. I never gained a pound during DD's pregnancy and she was a nice healthy 5lbs 10oz @ 35w5d (came due to low fluid levels with failed induction). I was down 25lbs after I had her.

I have tried VERY hard to gain weight with this pregnancy but I can't seem to put on a pound!! I was up 2lbs last week but when I stepped on the scale today I was back down to my start weight. I'm 20 weeks! Is this normal? I know babies go through a growth spurt at 19-24 weeks and start to pack on some fat. So I thought I would start to gain as they did but I'm not. I have an u/s on Wed. and I'm worried they maybe underweight or tiny b/c I'n not gaining enough. I was told to start the gestaional diabetes diet early in hopes of preventing myself from getting it this time. I was on it for about 2 weeks but with all the nausea and m/s I stopped. I've just been eating when I feel the need to and I am not following my carb counts at the moment. So I know it's not the "diet" that is effecting my gain (like it did with DD). I'm eating a TON of food but I can't seem to gain any weight!

Is this normal? Anyone else with twins make it to 20 weeks without a gain? Should I be worried? Can this effect their growth?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm worried. I will bring all of this up to the high risk OB on Wed. but wanted your thoughts first. Everyone I know who is pregnant (none of them with twins) keep telling me I should be happy I'm not putting on weight but I know there is a difference between twins and a single. I want my babies to have good weights in the chance they come early. So I figured you ladies would know more then they do. :)

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I'm a bigger girl and LOST 15lbs my first 3 months of pregnancy and at the end I had only gained 17lbs because I had lost so much in the begining. My doctor wasn't worried and it was nice not having to limit what I ate. However I made a point to eat healthy foods. I ate lots of avocado's and cheese on everything. I also made sure to take my vitamins... If your doctor isn't worried then I wouldn't be too concerned. I went full term with no pre-term labor or bed rest.
    Good luck and enjoy eating :lol:

3. spencersgirl

spencersgirl Active Member

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I'm not as far along as you are. I'm only 16 weeks but I'm currently down 11 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. My doctor doesn't seem concerned but I worry that the babies aren't getting what they need. I'm 5'11" but I'm also plus size and this is the first time I've ever been unhappy to loose weight.

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I also want to add that I've read the baby gets the goods first :lol: I know that I always felt so much movement after I ate because the baby got it first. Then I got the leftovers and a lot of the time would have to eat about an hour after because then "I" was hungry, does that make sense? So I wouldn't worry about the baby not getting what it needs, unless you've heard otherwise from your ob.

5. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

My last pg I hardly gained anything, only 10 - 12 lbs. I just couldn't pack it on. I was borderline GD so I chose to just monitor my sugars and eat healthier. I think thats why I didn't gain. That and the 4 or more cans of coke a day that I cut out of my diet completely. ;)

This time I have gained probably 30 lbs so far but have started losing at my last appt. The nausea and vomiting is back for me so I think that 30 lbs will probably be what I end up gaining. It is weird to have to pregnancies be so different. 1 you have to stop from gaining and the other you you can't seem to gain at all LOL.

If your doc is not worried I wouldn't be either. I know I had plenty of extra chub to sustain both my pregnancies without eating for 9 months heehee. ;) Good luck!!!!

6. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

I also say that you probably shouldnt worry too much about it if your doctor isnt worried. I lost about 10 pounds during the first trimester, but I had blown up from all the IVF drugs. I then gained that weight back by about 24 weeks. I still have not gained more than 15 pounds or so and I'm more than 29 weeks. Everyone is different and your babies are getting what they need from you.

7. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Unless your DR is worried, I wouldnt worry. I will be 31 weeks tomorrow and I am only 2.5 lbs over my starting weight. I lost around 10lbs or so the first 4 months between sickness and stuff and I do eat and I am not hungry that much and I cant gain it. At first all my friends are OMG you havnet gained that much, etc but they dotn really understand I was heavier to begin with so my tummy can just firm rather than grow and firm :p

but no, if your doctor isnt concerned, don't you be concerned!

8. vachi73

vachi73 Member

I'm struggling a little with the whole weight gain scene this pregnancy, too, but probably in the opposite direction.

I am 5'8" and 127 lbs, normally. With my first two sons, I was very sick and did not "break-even" on weight until 20-ish weeks. I gained 17 and 18 pounds (from pre-preg ... more than that from the bottom weight I reached around 12-ish weeks), had 7 lb babies, and wore regular jeans home from the hospital.

I know ... I don't even like that about myself, LOL.

This time ... everything is totally out of whack. For starters, I was probably 5 lbs heavier pre-preg than with my first two, so that's five more to lose at some point. I did lose down a fair amount, maybe 8 lbs, up until 14 weeks or so. However, because this pregnancy has been soooooo crazy (bedrest since 12.5 weeks!) and I'm so concerned with pre-term delivery, I have worked really, really hard to put on some pounds sooner rather than later.

So ... I *know* that I'm supposed to be gaining ... but I'll probably pass my heaviest-ever weight this week or next, and it's stressing me out. So much that I am already dreading going to the OB on Friday morning and getting the official number.

I suspect I have put on 15-17 lbs total at 24 weeks. Given a target of 35-45 lbs, 17 isn't so crazy, considering that I'm likely to deliver in 12 weeks (or maybe less) and that my weight gain will slow or reverse toward the end ... but still ... I think I've been gaining 2 lbs/week here for a few weeks, which scares me to death. If I keep THAT pace up, that's at least another 24 lbs, which would be a total of 41, and that seems like too much. Probably the absolute number scares me versus 17-18 lbs for a singleton in prior pregnancies??

My peri says she does not care what the scale says, and doesn't care if I ever step on a scale again ... all she cares about are the babies' weights and growth (measured by U/S every two-four weeks). So, on the one hand, that takes the pressure off ... but, on the other hand, my OB may sing a different tune. I haven't seen her in nearly 4 weeks, and I'm afraid she's going to lecture me on my recent, rapid weight-gain.

Anyone here sympathetic? Feel free to lecture me ... sometimes I wonder about my sanity! It's being cooped up all summer that's making me crazier than usual. :shok:

9. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I am trying very hard to not be freaked out by the weight as well - my OB tells me every time to eat, eat, eat, that I cannot gain enough weight. I was technically considered underweight pp - which was shocking - I don't look like a toothpick or anything, but I put in lots of miles running. In addition to eating, I was instructed to cease exercise at 8 weeks - my OB cited some study showing that women who stop exercising (even continuing an established exercise program) carry twins an average of 2 weeks longer. I was, and still am, skeptical of that advice, but I have followed it. So between no exercise and plenty of ice cream, the weight gain is beginning to give me some serious anxiety.

So based on my OB, I'd say that 41 pounds is fine - my goal is supposed to be 45 pounds, I think. And at the rate my cankles are swelling, I'll probably make it ...

10. vachi73

vachi73 Member

Cankles made me LOL - not good, with at least one twin's head on my bladder!!

Thanks for your supportive and empathetic words ... it's tough to watch the lbs go up-up-up ... even though you KNOW it's appropriate, it just seems weird.

11. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

I am in your shoes.
    My doctor wants me to gain at least 40lbs. I am 5’-8” and started at 123. My Perinatologist says she is correct, and the baby’s measurements are proof. They are textbook sizes. So far I am 28 weeks and have gained 26lbs…..all belly so that is good.
    I have been reading this book “When You’re Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads” by Dr Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein. It is pretty good and might put your mind at ease about the weight thing.
    Best wishes,
    Mishelle

12. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Hey Jennifer,
    If you are not yet, you may want to get a referral to a Perinatologist.
    They do a lot of measurements and can pretty well determine the sizes of your babies, this might put your mind to ease.
    Best wishes,
    Mishelle

13. IVF TWINS

Thank you so much everyone. I do feel better knowing I'm not alone. I have read Dr. Lukes book which is why I was so scared that I wasn't gaining enough. My high risk OB's office has a Peri. that they use in the office. So everythinng is checked by the OB and Peri. before I am seen (after an u/s). They have not done weight measurements yet. I will have my first anatomy and growth scan tomorrow(Have had just basic u/s every month). Then I will have them bi-weekly or monthly depending on the babies.

Thank you all so much! :)

14. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Im a very petite person (5'2" and 105 prepregnancy) I didnt start gaining weight until I was about 15 weeks along. Once I got in the mid 20s I was gaining weight by leaps and bounds.
    Everyone is different. If you have a little more weight on you already, you may not need to gain you already have the maternal fat stores your body requires. Yes your uterus is growing as is your breast and your blood volume is expanding (which are all weighted things) but you may be losing weight in other areas to compensate for that. Its probably hard to notice changes in yourself.

15. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

My high-risk OB said to ignore the weight gain recommendations in Dr. Luke's book -- the latest studies show no improved outcome for gaining the amount that she recommends.

I've actually gained less so far with twins than with my singleton pregnancy -- but also started out 20 pounds higher due to 10 pounds I never lost and 10 that I put on during IVF. The first time I was starving all the time, this time I get heartburn when my stomach is empty.

I'm 5'2", started at 140, and have gained 21 pounds at 24 weeks. It's been pretty steady, about a pound per week so far. OB is happy, says just keep eating moderately.

16. Jovellins

Jovellins Active Member

hi,
    i started my pg at 128 lbs (4 or 5 lbs over my normal due to IVF ) and now
    at almost 21 weeks i am up 12 lbs to 140. But i didnt put on any weight at
    all in the first trimester & at 15 weeks i went to visit my family in london for
    2 weeks & by the time i came home none of my pants fit me & i'd put on about
    5 lbs. (due to eating at restaurants & my sister feeding me!) I was so worried about the no weight gain that i requested an additional
    ultrasound so we could see if the babies were actually growing. We were totally
    reassured because the babies went from 4.5oz to 8 oz in 3 weeks. I also went to
    see a dietitian since i dont eat meat or cows dairy. She said that i need 70g protein
    per day for twins & that my diet was fine with a few adjustments.

17. IVF TWINS

Thanks everyone! Well I worried for nothing. Baby A is 11oz and Baby B is 12oz and both GIRLS!! :)

18. spencersgirl

spencersgirl Active Member

That's great that they are growing so well. Congrats on your girls.

19. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

YAY!!! Congrats!

20. rjschell3

rjschell3 New Member

Thank you so much to everyone for easing my worries! i am 5'1 and 130 prepreg. and have just read Dr. Luke's book. i had a single pregnancy and gained 40 lbs. for him. i am at 16 weeks and have only gained 5 lbs. i've been so worried that i haven't been gaining enough weight. now that i hear some similar things i don't have to panic anymore. i see the peri. in a few weeks and i can't wait to see how the two muffins are growing! i know for sure that i have at least one boy, the other baby was acting like a monkey that day!

thank you ladies!!
    -regan