How many ounces of milk?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DoublyThrilled, Aug 6, 2009.

1. DoublyThrilled

DoublyThrilled Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We are transitioning from formula to whole milk slowly. I was just wondering how many ounces of milk the twins should be having every day?
    They are having two heavy meals (morning and evening), with a couple of snacks in between. They are very picky eaters. I am a bit worried about their milk consumption. Is there a minimum amount they should be having every day?

My twins are 13 months old now...

Thanks!!!

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Our pedi said between 16-24oz/day. But check with your doctor because amounts can vary depending on your childrens' weight and growth.

Oh and remember to update your ticker ;)

3. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

Ditto!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our doctor also said the recommendation was 16-24 oz per day, however, since my twins are on the light side, she wanted us to be sure they get 24 oz.

5. someone

someone Well-Known Member

How do you ensure they get the 24? When mine don't want the bottle, it is a real battle to get them to drink.. my doctor recommended at least 18 a day (still on formula) preferable more, but she just isn't interested and screams when she doesn't want it. How do you get yours to get the recommended amount?

6. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

My doctor said there is no minimum recommendation for milk, only a maximum. He said no MORE than 24 oz per day because too much can actually cause irritation and make them too full to eat other things. As far as a minimum, he said as long as they are getting enough dairy for calcium and some source of vitamin D, they don't need milk. I'm still nursing, but only a few times a day so I thought I'd add a few cups of whole milk, but he said since they take a multivitamin and eat cheese and yogurt, they don't need any milk. See what your pedi thinks, but I wanted to give another perspective for you to consider. I personally love milk so I do give them some in a sippy cup sometimes (we only do water and milk here, no juice, so it's a treat), but I don't stress about ounces.

7. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

I know mine arent 1 yet, but I've talked with my pedi about this as feeding dd has been a BATTLE since she was 1 month old-she said she likes to see 12oz milk and a few oz juice or water-so probably 16oz fluids a day. I forsee that being fine w/ds but I know it will, again, be a battle w/dd.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Our pedi said no more than 16oz after 12 months, or they won't eat enough food. I'll have to ask our new one in 2 weeks though (not like my two would even drink 16oz anymore).

9. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Our pedi also said NO MORE THAN 18oz a day.
    We give one 8oz cup in the morning with breakfast and thats it. We do lots of cheese, yogurt etc that have calcium in them.
    We do 4oz of Juice for lunch and water the rest of the day....

So tricks to get them to drink the milk :
    Try mixing carnation instant breakfast into the whole milk. It gives extra calories/nutrients and makes it taste better.
    mix whole milk with vanilla soy. Vanilla soy is sweet---it has lots of sugar which is why I suggest mixing half and half.
    Add a little strawberry syrup to your whole milk? Just enough to get it a hint of color/flavor.