Gripe water

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newpairofschus, Jul 24, 2009.

1. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I recall reading a little about gripe water on the boards but the search function still isn't working, so....

My boys are acting way colicky. What is gripe water? Does it work? Can I get it at Target or Walmart or just health food type stores? And where would I find it - with the baby products or in the medicine aisle?

Thanks for (hopefully) saving a very stressed out momma!
    Eve

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Gripe water is a remedy that helps soothe colicky babies, tummy aches, teething pain and reflux. It contains natural ingredients like ginger and fennel. You can find it at target or at any health food store. I used to buy little tummies brand at target in the same aisle that has all the stomach stuff. I think it cost $8.99, but probably varies depending on location. It will cost you more at a health food store...possibly $20. It worked for us, but doesn't work on all babies. It really helped calm them down to the point where we could soothe them and rock them to sleep. Good luck!

3. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We didn't have luck with it for colic, but did have luck with it for getting rid of hiccups, which mine always got after a burp. You keep it refrigerated and it doesn't have a long shelf life. We rotated between two varieties to keep it effective in stopping hiccups (I think it was the cold temperature and strong flavor that gave it the shock value to stop the hiccups). It worked on hiccups 50% of the time on my girls.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We never had any luck with it but I believe it is widely available & some people swear by it. The old version used to contain alcohol which is, I think, why so many of past generations say it worked so well ;) , but a lot of people like the new formula & it is definitely better for them without it!

1 person likes this.
  5. becky5

becky5 Guest

Ahhh, I didn't know that! I never had any luck with the gripe water. I got the Baby's Bliss brand at a health food store.

1 person likes this.
  6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Wow. I didn't know that either. We tried it in the bottles for reflux and I saw no difference so I stopped using it. I hope it gives yours some relief!

7. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I use little tummy brand and I don't know about colics might be it help but a little but it really does help with hipcups. I spoke with my peds and she say if your kids has pattern with colic time like my usually fussy from 5-8 or 6-9 pm just give them gripe water in advance.

8. roadtocalvary

roadtocalvary Well-Known Member

We actually bought ours at the local grocery store. We bought the Baby Bliss brand and actually it has worked nicely for our twins. I can't say it is perfect, but they have passed a ton of gas and burped much better and really haven't been that fussy. But we did give it to them prior to their normal colicy times. Praying this works for you.

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We used to use it regularly when they were gassy or just fussy. It worked for us. Of course, Alice had reflux, it didn't work on that (not that I expected it to) but when she was just normally gassy or fussy it worked great.