losing mucus plug, should I call DR?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Krissa72, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

I think I am starting to lose my mucus plug. Yesterday after a BM I had EW cervical stuff come out, and today on and off I have it, even when wiping after peeing. I guess this is the mucus plug?? It is clear in color though. I am so scared, not ready to deliver now! DS was born at 34 wks, I am currently 33 1/2 wks with twins, so I know it can be really soon. Should I call the Dr? Does this mean I will deliver in the next day or so? (NICU time 4 sure, ugh)
    HELP!! Thanks!
    Krissa

2. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Doesn't necessarily mean its your plug but it could be. With my second I lost my mucus plug but it was blood tinged and it came out in clumps. With my twins I apparently lost it and didn't even know it. I would keep an eye on it, and let your dr know in the am (or even call tonight if you are very paranoid). I would think that giving them a call in the morning and telling them you are concerned and maybe they could check you out?

3. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

Definitely call...

Some more TMI...I get an increased discharge after sex...could that be it?

4. Surrodoula

Surrodoula Well-Known Member

Hmmm, doesn't sound like the plug to me, it sounds more like increased discharge. The plug generally has a more thick snot-like consistency and color (although it can be blood tinged as well). Even if it is your plug, it doesn't mean that you will start labour any time soon - it can be several weeks away yet.

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I lost my plug with the twins about 3 weeks before delivery. I did call the nurse and they just said to watch for other signs. A call isn't going to hurt.
    I lost my plug with Evan the night before delivery when I was already having contractions.

6. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

I agree with others definetly call your dr. When I was loosing mucus plug with Claudia it had some blood in it. I started loosing it at 36 weeks and delivered her almost 3 weeks later.

7. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

8. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Call if you are concerned for sure. But, just for some added reassurance, I lost mine a few weeks ago. AND have had super crazy discharge now off and on for weeks. My daughter was also early, so I was worried this meant these twins were coming early too....but I am at 38 weeks today, and still no babies!

Molly
    38 weeks

9. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I agree that you should call. My Dr was not concerned when I lost mine at 24 weeks. She said excess mucous is very normal with twin pregnancies. I didn't deliver until 28 weeks 1 day. :hug:

10. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

thanks everyone for the replies. What will the Dr do, check my cervix for dilation? I am not having any contractions. I have appts Thurs (peri) and Fri (OB) so I could mention it then, but you think I should call?
    I think it would be bigger if it were the mucus plug, but could be just starting?
    Thanks again everyone!
    OH and nope, no sex, LOL, I am on pelvic restriction since 30 weeks when cervix length went to 2.4 cm (had negative FFN test then, and they have not checked my cervix again)
    : )
    Krissa

11. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

You don't necessarily lose your mucous plug in one big piece, you can lose it slowly over the course of a couple of days. I always think it's better to call. Peace of mind can go a long way. Your Dr may not want to do anything, but your Dr knows your situation best and can make that judgment call. I was having contractions for 4 weeks, and many of them I wasn't feeling at all. Like you said earlier, things can change so fast. I wish you the best of luck!

12. Krissa72

Krissa72 Active Member

thanks! I will probably call in the AM unless something changes by then as you just never know. I had a NST on Thurs and no contractions, but of course they can start at any time I know. I guess I will never be fully prepared to have the babies but just trying to keep them cooking as long as possible and now I am getting paraniod about every little symptom since it is getting closer and closer. Thanks again!

13. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

call the doc to be sure..however for the last couple of weeks my discharge has become so much more, and i had some gobs of mucus (somewhat clear) come out a couple of weeks ago...the actual plug hasn't been lost, but because jack is RIGHT THERE and putting so much pressure on the cervix i AM losing mucus that is clear along with all the other stuff, and it's made it all "watery" too...i know this because the midwives have tested it 2 weeks in a row and that's what i've been told...