burping

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lisachalf, Jul 16, 2009.

1. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

Anyone know any tricks to get a baby to burp? I've tried patting her over one leg, patting her sitting up with my hand on her tummy and over the shoulder. Sometimes I can pat her for twenty minutes and she just won't burp! Help!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our DD was very gassy as an infant and one of the things we used to do to aid burps along was to give Mylicon in every bottle, sometimes that helped us in getting the burps out faster. Sometimes we would have to sit her up for an half hour to get a burp out of her.

3. stacpane

stacpane Active Member

Our son was always really hard to burp, still is sometimes. We bounce him for a while and then without fail we get a burp. I think I read this in the happiest baby on the block...but I can't remember. Works every time for us!!

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It always helped mine if they were sitting up as straight as possible. So, I would put them on my shoulder or sit them on my lap & slowly but firmly push my hand up their spine so that they would be straight up & almost always a burp would come out. Babies that age are naturally kind of slouchy & it's hard to burp like that!

5. sandygilpn

sandygilpn Well-Known Member

I would also sit my baby up straight, then lean her back so she was horizontal, then sit her back up again. Sometimes I would do this a couple times. I think it helps move the bubble around so it's closer to the surface and easier for the baby to get out.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

Emma was impossible to burp! I had to walk her around on my shoulder, with a little bounce in my step, while patting her back.

7. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Do you have stairs? I remember sometimes mine wouldn't burp, then I'd walk up the stairs and they'd burp a couple times on the way up [​IMG]

Mine have been able to burp themselves for quite some time now.. though sometimes when I pick them up from their naps they burb :lol:

8. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Gosh, the times i have sat up in the dead of the night trying with all my might to get my pair to burp for hours!! It was so incredibly frustrating! I didn't find that anyone position fixed it. I used to rotate between the postions you mentioned and if all else failed i would put them down for a rest lol and the lift back up would sometimes relieve them. It does get easier to burp the bigger they get. Good luck

9. lisachalf

lisachalf Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies. I will try all of the above!

10. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

Oh I do so feel your pain. I've never found anything that works consistantly. Sometimes they burp easily. Sometimes if I stand and walk with them they burp. Sometimes they do it without anything from me and sometimes they don't burp at all. Wish I could be more helpful, but know that you are not alone.

11. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

This was the sure fire way my MIL could get the boys to burp. I wish she would have visited them before they were 6 weeks old! I would get so frustrated when we couldn't get a burp.

12. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We would sit them on our chests so they were facing us, and then lean them forward over their legs. That almost always worked to get out a big burp.

13. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

For my son, I would lay him down on his back, then bring him up and that would work. Also, massaging my hand up his back seemed to work better than patting.