Flat spots on their heads

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mrschenoweth, Jul 11, 2009.

1. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

Both my twins have developed flat spots on the back left side of their heads. It is much more noticeable on Kyle's than Addison's. For some reason, they both turn their heads to the left most of the time. I was wondering if I should take them in to see the dr. right away or if it something that is common and can wait until their 4 month check-up? :unsure:

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

Personally, I would not wait. I had two babies with flat heads, and was able to correct it with being VERY consistent with repositioning. Also, since they are both turning to the left, I would be concerned that they might have torticollis. Either way, the earlier you begin treatment/repositioning, the better the results.

1 person likes this.
  3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Becky is right. Mine had this and they both had torticollis which they nedeed PT for.

1 person likes this.
  4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Since babies sleep on their backs mostly these days, they commonly get flat spots on the back of their heads. I agree with Becky, you should probably get it checked right away, just because you want to start correcting it sooner rather than later.

1 person likes this.
  5. nycmomma

nycmomma Well-Known Member

Don't wait to see your doc, but be prepared if their ped wants to take a "wait and see" approach. My doc didn't want to put M in PT, but I pushed and I'm glad I did. In just 5 weeks we've seen big improvements. I also got him a noggin nest, made by boppy; I think this is helping too.

1 person likes this.
  6. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

My girls both had small flat spots on the back of their heads. It's very common in babies and the fact that you are aware of it and looking to fix it is great!

Do they like tummy time?? That helps. Babies also like to turn their heads towards the open space in the room and the door so I would make sure you are switching them around in their cribs so they face different directions for sleep. You can also do some mild stretching during diaper changes to the side he doesn't like to turn to. I would get in to see you doctor as soon as you can but a few days or even a week isn't going to do him any harm.

1 person likes this.
  7. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Both my girls have flat spots on their heads as well. One of them has torticollus and is in physical therapy. It's not something that you want to wait on. Around 6-7 months is when their skulls start to hardened so it becomes harder to correct. Your twins are at a perfect age for correction. I would speak to your doc asap. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Yep, I would take them in.

1 person likes this.
  9. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

same here. and because we went and got evaluated and started PT early, their heads have rounded out all on their own without helmets.

1 person likes this.
  10. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

I agree with the pps, take him in before hand. My son's back of his head was looking flat at a young age and we brought it up to the doctor and with more monitoring from us we were able to shape it.

1 person likes this.
  11. mrschenoweth

I am taking all of your advice and will take them in to see the dr. this week! Thank you all very much for your replies! :thanks:

12. tinalb

Let us know how it goes!

13. becky5

becky5 Guest

Oh good! Let us know what the ped say! :hug:

We have an article in the resources section on repositioning techniques for plagiocephaly.

14. mrschenoweth

*UPDATE*

After all of your responses, I really started looking into this problem. I began implementing repositioning strategies for plagiocephaly on my own. I read the article Becky referred me to plus did lots of research online. I am on it!

I took them into the dr. today and he confirmed and diagnosed plagiocephaly. He checked their neck muscles and said they don't have torticollis. They are able to move their head to the right, they just choose not to most of the time. He told me to continue the aggressive repositioning strategies I was already trying. When we go back in a month for their wellness check-up, we will look to see if there is any progress. He thinks because I caught it early, we should be able to correct it this way. FYI-their ears and foreheads are asymmetrical now because of plagiocephaly. So sad! :cry:

I brought up physical therapy because some of you mentioned that. I asked if it was needed. He said he wasn't going to bring it up, but since I did, I could go that route if I wanted to. He said he isn't really sure if its needed but wrote up the referral incase I decided I wanted to do it.

So my question for you all who have been there done that...do you think PT is helpful even if they don't have torticollis?

Another question for all of you who have BTDT...what strategies if any did you use to keep their heads from rolling to one side while they are sleeping?

Thanks again for all of your advice!

15. tinalb

I don't have any BTDT experience for you but wanted to say good job being right on top of the problem like that. :good: I'm sure their heads will be back to normal in no time! :hug:

16. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

Mine DS has both dx and the pt is helpful for the plagophy (sorry cant remember how to spell). We have know Ds had prob. since before 2 months but is still going to need helmet- despite torticolis being resolved. IMO I would take them, It cannot hurt. Our PT is good b/c it also addresses all their developmental skills and needs. Good luck and good for you for being so proactive!

17. lawilliams77

lawilliams77 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone, even though the dr. may want to just wait, it is important to get things checked out right away if it is concerning to you.

18. mrschenoweth

Thanks, I hope so!