Feeding Schedule? They are starting to STTN

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twointheoven, Jul 2, 2009.

1. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

By boys are starting to STTN. They usually wake once, and one night didn't wake at all. I am trying to be proactive in "training" them. Right now I don't have a set schedule for feeding throughout the day. When one get's hungry (3-4 hours from last feed), I feed them both. They are taking 5-6 bottles during the day and 0-1 at night. I am trying to figure out if I should continue the way I am going, or try to start a schedule. What did you all do at this age? They are 3 1/2 months (corrected age is almost 8 weeks but ped. says feeding coincides with actual age not corrected age). Thanks!

2. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I think if you look in the sticky first year handbook there are other peoples schedules. I can't help cuz at that age they were eating every 2 hours, around the clock :eek: !

3. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

Every 2 hours, wow, I feel lucky! Poor you! LOL Thank you for the recomendation on the handbook, I didn't realize that was what was in there, looks like some good stuff... the only problem is when I click on any of the topics I get a driver error... any idea why?

4. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Not sure, probably has to do with all the updates they are making.

5. Carrie27

Carrie27 Well-Known Member

Did the same for a long time. I never really had times they would eat, just round about times and stuck to a 3-4 hour time between feedings.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Give it a bit of time & try again. They are still trying to work out some of the problems from the update. There is some great info there!

7. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are on your way to having two little ones who sleep through the night regularly! That's great. DS didn't make it through the night until 4 months and a week or so. Bumping him up to the 6 ounce bottles 5 times a day was when he made it through the night and now they both sleep about 10 1/2 - 11 1/2 hours a night. Of course, I didn't force him to eat more during the day but when he started taking a little extra it made the difference. My babies left the hospital eating every 3 hours and still do give or take a few minutes.

8. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

It seems that you and I are traveling the same road right now! I am adopting the behavior of no schedules, it is a daily routine. I am doing the same as you are. The times we do things are roughly the same everyday, but not exact.

I would keep going, you are doing great!

Jenn

9. lewis514

lewis514 Well-Known Member

What we're doing right now is that if DD is awake 3 hours after her last feed, I feed her. If she's sleeping, I let her go until she wakes up. Since I've been doing this, she's been getting up each morning between 6-7am. It's been great, she wakes up happy and smiling and I get her ready and give her first bottle of the day. I then start going 3 hours after that and she eats about 5-6 times/day total. She gets her last feed around 7/8pm and then goes to sleep until the next morning.

I think you're doing great, just wanted to share what we've been doing. Good Luck!

10. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I stuck to every three hours with a consistent wake up time until well after they were sleeping 12 hrs at night (which was about the 3 mo mark for all of them). Feeding every three hours allowed them to eat all the calories they needed in that 12ish hr period they were awake. They didn't move to a 4hr schedule until we added the third solid feeding at almost 6mos.